Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
what kind of paleo are these?

Hi not sure what kind of paleo these are maybe someone knows. I think the bigger one might be clovis but not sure. Also i just started diggind a couple years ago i wnet to christners can anyone tell me a good area there to start?
Photobucket

Re: what kind of paleo are these?

Hi Josh, pretty difficult to say with certainty, for a number of reasons. Aside from some basal damage on the top one, both have been resharpened from their original form. If you turn the top one over and it has a nice bifurcated flutting, it's likely clovis, as they are usually fluted on one or both sides. There are some non-fluted clovis out there, but pretty rare. Can't see the flaking pattern on it good enough...probably not enough lighting in photo...check for horizontal transverse style.
Typing the second/ bottom one is even more difficult, as it has been resharpened almost to a nub. It appears likely to have been not only much longer, but wider in it's original form. As it could have also been a barbed dart point, paleo becomes questionable. One thing is certain, both points were well used. Probably not alot of info here, but I hope this helps a little.

Thanks for the info mike, both points are fluted on both side the smaller point is fluted much more than the bigger one but anyhow thanks for the info. I was digging on my friends property he has hit the paleo jackpot on his place, i dug about 5 feet down to find this one but i was digging in sand next to the creek easy digging.

I sure would like to see some better photos of these points. Try useing several light sources (Lamps will work) to bring out more flaking details. I can see from the original photo that the large point has at least one paleo style flake scar all the way across it! Thanks, jw-james

Howdy Josh,,,very nice finds, to quote JW, " the pics dont do them justice "

Ref where to dig [ at Chrisners ] , I would suggest the same place you got the PALEOS

I notice JW finished digging early today and is twiddling around the dial

Did he notice the last posting on " I DIG YOUR DIGGER
FORUM on SEPT 26 ". . . .

10-4 Hal I did notice and hope to give your directions a try soon! JW-JAMES