Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Looking for some advice

Hello all,

I live in Iowa. I've never actively searched for arrowheads or other artifacts, but as an avid coin collector I run into this stuff all year long. With the massive flooding we experienced here in Iowa this summer, I wondered if perhaps artifacts have been unearthed. Is this a technique utilized by the experts? I spend a great deal of time on riverbottoms in the fall anyway, and thought it might be fun to include this activity. Any thoughts or advice for a complete novice?

Thanx for any help and consideration,

CJM

Re: Looking for some advice

I've been working in Iowa this summer off and on All the flooding washed up a lot of good stuff.If you already have permission to walk the bottems check the sand and gravel bars along the creeks and rivers.Harder to spot in the gravel but better chance of finding a complete artifact Farm equip takes its toll in the field.

Hi CJ, There are some very talented surface hunters that check this site once in a while and I'll give them a chance to respond with their words.
When you described your "situation" kinda reminded me
of the fact that I have spent YEARS in drainages looking for fossils and never found one single "worked" piece of an artifact, but now with the wisdom of the ages, I can probably walk any creek
in our area and find flint "modified by man"
It's there, good luck. . .

hi i am no expert but i have ben looking for a few years. i am from s.c. and we have a few rivers aroud here and they are pretty productive. i do mostly surfice hunting i seam to find more around the streames that feed the rivers i look mostly for places that they just took the timber off of close to any type water looking for any type of material like chipes flakes or some kind of broken pottery we are kind of flat around here so i try to find the highest point and work around it alot and toward the water area i usely take an old golf club with the head cut off it makes it easy to flip rocks and always look for shapes good luck to you and keep your head down.