Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
gulf coast hunting?

Anyone know about beach hunting the coast? I know lots of great clovis points come from there.

Re: gulf coast hunting?

I don't know the particular spots, but i've talked to several folks, that have found artifacts, right there off Galveston, after a storm. Problem is, there are no longer any beaches to walk and search. There are many ancient campsites though, that are now underwater in the gulf, just off the coastline. I recall reading a article in the paper, just about a year ago, Texas a&m was doing some searching.

I also read some stuff about the beaches near sea rim state park, there are lots a clovis being found there on the beaches. I need do do some more research its to long a drive to go down there in a hurry and i think some of the coast will still be closed.

McFaddin Beach is a good spot to look for artifacts after a big storm. It was closed down after Hurricane Rita and Hurricane Ike probably has it shut down again. Quite a few Clovis points, among other artifacts, have been found there. There are evidently several sites that are now under the water in the Gulf that will throw up artifacts after heavy storms.

It is up the Bolivar and below Sea Rim Park

Thanks for the info joe. I read on the sea rim park site that the beach will be closed due to the storms, I think it will open soon.

Oh my gosh ! !

ITS TRUE. . . . .

" You CAN teach an old digger new tricks !!!"

At the top of the chatter topics page, Ive been looking at a little white
block & SEARCH for FIVE YEARS . never touched it for fear it would blow up my PC

Josh, in regard to your question in this section,be braver than I was. . . . .

In the "SEARCH BLOCK", type in; ; ; ;

. . . . . .. SHELL MIDDENS . . . [ click "search" ]

. . . . ===

Wow that was helpfull now i can go back and search for some past pics thanks hal

Wish I would find a Arrowhead Midden ...

Maybe you move the Arrowheads out to get to the ROCK!

Baha!

I need to dig soon! Work is SOOOOO SLOW ... .. .
Ahh! Get me into some ash man!!!

Michelle

I am having serious dig withdrawls!! I dont know if i can hold out untill digfest. My grandfathers place has produced some good heads over the years all from surface hunting a hill that has been plowed several times over the years. There is a creek next to the hill Im wondering if i should find a place to dig there. I dont know if it is worth the time or not. What do yall think?

Josh, It's a big world ! finding just the right spot to dig is the trick and not always
easy [ or successful ]

Look for concentrated surface flint flakes, black soil, "fire rock" and snail shells.

Water near a camp is a necessity BUT, NEVER, NEVER in what would seem ancient
flood plains,
. . . .Wow did those ancients have a lot of
respect for Texas flash floods. . .