Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
tarps

I've noticed in several of the photographs that while digging, some of you use a small tarp with ropes attached. Looks like this is a good way to get rid of excess dirt as well as protection from wet ground during rainy weather. I have looked all over for a small tarp like the ones you use but can only find large ones. 8X10 and larger. Anyone care to advise where I can find one?

Re: tarps

Hello there Jerry

I believe that the only peopl that use these tarps are Hal and I and Dan..

HAL is the maker of these custom tarps to get the dirt out of the hoell Take it far awauy fromt he hole and give you something to sit on!

Its just a larger tarp with the eyelets in it.. and he cuts it CUSTOM size.. Uses rubber cement to overlad the edge that he cut..

Then puts the 2 ropes onthe sides to drag the tarp / dirt out of the way

ITS GREAT I TELL YA!!!!!!!!! Nothing like laughing at these people that dig like a badger and just scoop the dirt behind there butts and it falls back in the hole!

I was like WHAT THE ??? At First.. But now that I am used to using them.. working a CLEAN WALL.. Removing everything that I have already looked at...

Well, I woudln't dig any other way!

Michelle

Cant resist the last word

We can get tarps locally [Austin TX] 5 X 7 @ $5.- ea. = two, 21/2 X 31/2 = $2.50 ea.
The cheapest 1/4" polyrope works best. Even on corners with factory grommets, it's best to "bunch up" the material and tie a knot

A good dirt moving alternative to a big shovel is an ALUMINUM 8" frying pan. Thrift store @ $1.50

And finally, "the last word" . . . .All different tools and techniques will be seen at digfest
so a new digger can deceide what suits him best

thanks for these good tips. At those prices, its cant hurt to try.

Pat, I really dont have the time to get into any tarp [ tool ] production,

But with interest such as it is maybe I'll make one up for next years prize donation
I'm sure not to have another great shirt by that time,
I have to have my thrift bought wardrobe last
two years. .

SH,

What size is your tarp once completed?

I stole your idea from the pics I saw on here, but I've found that I like to use a banner rather than folding over a tarp.

That is something you could probably pick up from a sign shop Jerry.

Nevermind...I assume you use the 5x7. Are yours the typical tarp material or heavier like a bannner?

SH

I know a guy who sells plans for Beehives and dog houses he get 15 bucks a pop.
Just make yourself a set of plans and sell them I have seen this tarp sifter screener in action. It would be worth it to buy the plans make your own. that contraption on your back you can travel light and not make a scene carrying an fifty pound screen system. When you do not want to draw alot of attention to where you are headed.

Red, 5 X 7 "standard" weight tarp, cut in half,
Digging four times a week, in midden rock
density soils, each 1/2 should last 2 months

Interesting you figured to use the strong banner material, this whole tarp thing started 6 years ago with a banner I found at roadside. Good material
but the highest wear is the middle drag area so eventually you are left with a perfect donut advertising
banner