Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Uknown Artifact

Man what an awsome site!Outstanding job Michelle has done with this and everything on it, and I love reading her adventures with Hal....so yeah I have something, a whats it, and I'm hoping for some help in identification.Thank you in advance.
unknown

unknown
unknown

Re: Uknown Artifact

Douglas, You may be right about the age, but it reminds me of a firecap,,,the stone or whatever for a bow type fire starter...

The first thought out of my head when I saw it was HOW DID THEY DO THAT,that stuff is hard as flint...maybe it was done before it was petrified possibly?
The one old timer I trust thinks it is a firestarter bow thing holder and has seen some before but not like that...pretty sure that a hole that big would have to be done when it wasn't stone though.Guess everyone is at the Digfest maybe we can get some insight OR input when people get back from having their heads in the gutters This site is the coolest thing though,Michelle is really doing a beautiful thing providing this for everyone,I wonder if she realizes the magnatude of it all.I have plenty of friends with artifacts they found as kids but still have stashed somewhere.I know I have my share that I would like to share.Hope she has some big harddrives

Looks like a shifter handle that the hole is stripped out Or it looks like something you can get from a Head shop

Before we guess that it's petrified wood, maybe the owner shouild should tell us what it is because to me it look's like carved wood somewhat in the shape of a duckhead.

Silver, in an earlier post, randy identified the piece as petrified wood...

R, As you probably know, Petri wood collectors are always looking for the
most unique finds like worm woods, knots, branches etc.

Your item looks like termite burrows on the big hole side.
Before committing to a laughable guestimate, could I ask for scale, like hole diameter. The pic looks like a pretty flat bottom, true

This all would have been easier if you had punched the hole though before your first posting then we could have settled
on a woodpecker hole

SH,
I'm sorry I was just looking back here and noticed you had commented.The hole is the size of a nickel and does appear to be a knot hole,overall length is about 6.5 inches.And yes it is/was worm infested.