Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
any places to hunt or dig in the salado/belton area

does anyone no of some good places to hunt in the salado and surrounding area? I live just outside a small town named holland, about 20 miles south of temple, and me and my daughter are hooked big time on hunting points.
Congrats to all at digfest. I will be there next year for sure

Re: any places to hunt or dig in the salado/belton area

Sorry to do this to you Eric but almost every time someone asks about where to
surface for arrowheads, that nasty ole word "fossils"
creep in
Stands to reason that if your "looking down" in any drainages in TX both flint N fossils are
all being washed out together.

Holland is right on the Eastern edge of some of the best ancient populations, people find worked pieces
in their driveways ! [and Walmart parking lot edges ]

The PALEONTOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF AUSTIN [ TEXASPALEO.COM ]
Does a yearly field trip to the SPILLWAY at STILLHOUSE LAKE. Much closer to YOUR house and it would be YOUR driveway ! ! !

There's a proper parking lot, go down the obvious trail, get OFF the trail, [right turn] UP the first big drainage cut. Take it slow. . . . . You are WALKING on great fossils, also check the sides / banks.
Just need a flat blade screwdriver and some zip locks

Its good indian country....

It's a gorgeous TX natural area, consider taking a picnic or some munchies for a break.

Have you ever seen a beaver dam in TX ???
There was one there bout 4 yrs ago when I was last there. .

Me and my daughter love to find fossils just as much as points. Thanks for the info and I will head to that area soon with my daughter.
Yes I have seen a Beaver dam in Texas. A beaver got into my father-in-laws tank, knocked down some trees and made a small **** on the spillway. That's about the only one I've seen though.

sorry I can't spell(Dam) not the other one

. . .ERIC [ and D. ]and anyone else interested. . . . .THIS. . . . IS IT

I just got the monthly newsletter from my fossil club [PALEONTOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF AUSTIN ]

On SATURDAY NOVEMBER 22nd. They are going on a local fossil field trip starting in the Harker Heights area.
[ Just a bit NW of the metropolis of Holland Texas ! ]

Guests are welcome [ encouraged ] JUST BE THERE !!

Meet at 0800 SATURDAY AT THE SMALL STRIP MALL OFF iNDIAN tRAILS ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF 190.
Just look for a few parked cars with people milling around like they are lost !

You might feel better talking to the leader of the expodition, Call. . .

ED ELLIOT . . . .512 657 7581

I'm your reference, they well know of my flint N fossiling. Just mention Hal, no need to use my full flint title of " Shallow Hal ". . . .
They all know me as Professor Hal

Salado has some great campsites with super artifacts, however most are on private property. This is one of the richest areas in Texas in terms of artifacts. Keep your eyes to the ground and as Hal says, check out drainage ditches and washed out areas especially near creeks! Good Luck, JW-JAMES

i will definately keep my eyes on the groung because "if you aint lookin' then you aint findin'"

Hal , thanks for the fossil club info. I will see if I can get there on the 22nd. I think my daughter has a basketball tourney that day though.
If it's not one thing its another. Sooner or later I will make some time in my schedule and get out and find something.