Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
arrowheads

i have located a small sandy area that has lithic scatter ranging from big flakes to tiny ones scattered over maybe a 1/4 acre if that. have found 7 or 8 broken points associated with the scatter.can you actually dig in sand to find points? do this sound like a small campsite or just a brief use camp? a dry creek fork is located 120 yards to the east and this is on almost totaly flat groung? any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Re: arrowheads

Kevin
I started diggin in a small camp With sandy soil. I first thought it was smaller than 1/8 acre. The past year I have found it to be much larger than Artifacts found in a area over three acres and still growing in size.Well not still growing just finding the boundries alot farther out. Several diggers have found artifacts in the camp. With the exception of one fella I feel sorry for that guy. Kinda like Charlie Brown on Haloween The best advice is use 1/4 inch sifter if it sandy. Alot of artifacts I find will drop thru 1/2 screen.
Good Luck Remember this advice was free. So that is about all it is worth

Kev, Sounds like an interesting area with potential.
Might get some more comments by knowing what city or at least county its in.
Any clue what type points you have found?, thats a big
age determinator. . . =

its in the western part of brown county about 12 miles northeast of brownwood tx.i foundthe back of a bird point,a serrated middle to tip bird and some mid sections and tips thats about it so far.yesterday i dig a small test dig only went down bout 6 inches,top layer was loose sand followed by a dark red layer bout 2 inches thick then ran into some darker soil with what looked like signs of ash. plan to do deeper test pit later.

Commanche Kevin, Thats a good part of the world for early populations. In general bird points are fairly
"young" in history but are very good markers over older artifacts. Like near a spring source that may have existed over the Eons and seen many
thirsty generations

Leonards info is as good as it gets, he's making finds while looking for the older
bar / lounge lizard areas.

I'm pulling up an old posting this morn [ I dont know how to paste here ] Look for a "midden link"

Maybe this is a repeat of something you have seen before, I seem to remember
somebody up in that part of the world looking for info a while back.
Sorry if this is an echo