Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
chrisners this weekend

Well went to chrisners this weekend and camped out saturday night !!

woke up fried up some bacon and eggs about 6 am and started hunting along with two of my sidekicks about 8 am ..

Yesterday in the new ditch they found two corner tangs and a few other points ..which fired me up so off to the ditch i went

found a broken base and learned a valuable lesson in that hard packed dirt be careful pulling on points i broke a awesome 5 to six inch friday it looked more like a ensor knife to me i dunno it broke in three spots i have the top half and bottom but a small side piece is missing boo hoo

then i went to fulton hollow and found a small ensor and a perd that had some fire damage and another broken base of a knife of some sort

had a great weekend took alot of silly pics and left about 2 pm after my six hours of diggin ..i need to plan a longer trip next time

Re: chrisners this weekend

Lee

You NEED to buy a tent and a LOT of covers! Its COLD out there!!

Post your pictures when you get a chance darlin!

Michelle

Lee, I'd like to get together sometime at Christner's, have to work out scheduling, tho...let me know.

glad to know there are some good ones still at Chrisners

I was told by someone at christners that the long ditch that was dug for the digfest would be filled up the following day. Am I hearing this correctly that this same ditch is still open to everyone?

. . . .GILBERT ? Is that the Gilbert from DRIPPING SPRINGS TX

RSVP

Hello Sh. Yep, Im Gilbert from Dripping Springs. Enjoyed digging next you and Michelle at Christners even though I didnt find anything, it was a great outing. Incidentally, I just finished making a new digging tool based off your four prong. Also received a new tool I purchased from redpiggardentools.com. Its awsome. Cant wait to use them.

Hi Gil, I was planning to get your attention when I spotted your posting.
As I told you at digfest, I was also working on the "hay bail hook"
tool because the basic concept is good and results of first tests were impressive.

Well I have settled on my final design that incorporates good steel, angle of attack, weight and balance and the right leverages [ for me ]

Started with an off the shelf from Harbor freight tools. HARBORFREIGHT.COM item 44912-5VGA

With a torch, straightened then rebent the end{s}
[ using a wet rag for holding the metal up near the handle so the plastic does not melt ]
Easy finish reshaping with a hand grinder.. . .

Photobucket

The basic tools are so dead cheap, I wound up with 3 different sizes for seven bucks And it's proven to be a good bonus. . . .I use the medium, one hander a lot and the largest as a two handed gruncher !
Here's a pic of the business ends. . .

Photobucket

Customised tools suit the individual, like tying your own trout fishing flys, it's not for everyone.
I still use my regular tools but go to the "hook" for the compacted deeper soils. . . . ESPECIALLY that last bottom three inches of paleo caliche SmileyCentral.com

Now my biggest challenge is an apropriot name. Its not really a Rake but if it was Jake, it might be
" JAKE THE RIPPER " Still in the frenetic frensy of digging, short is best
so it may forever be associated with the pirate Smee's
Captain.......

Different tools for different soils> > > > That section of the digfest trench where we were was about as bad as it gets, wet, compacted silt
I also got zipped there.

morning Hal, Wow, these are excellant, a great set of tools for anyones arsenal. Looks like you have flattened the tip on a few of them. Helps to prevent flint breakage. Its amazing how small tools like these can move so much dirt. Ive had a hard time finding screw drivers with the right size handle but these look good. Ive been using a 16 inch spade drill bit, heating and bending it and than use a high strength epoxy to hold it into a wood handle. Guess now Im going to have to make a trip to harbour freight tools. Cant beat the price. Thanks for the pictures

Well, SH, I cant think of any good names for your tools. Maybe Hal#1, Hal#2 and so on. One of your new digging tools had already caught my attention when I saw it in a recent photograph of your digs. It was next to your friendly penguin. The first time I saw anyone digging with a bent screwdriver was about 15 years ago in Wimberley, texas. That kid had only a wiggle pick, long handle round pointed shovel and one bent screw driver. He could really move the dirt.

Great post, I like the seeing the different tools that everyone has. I think I have what I need, then I see someone digging with something else that makes me go, hmmmmm.

. . . . GIL. . . .I AM ON A "HOOK" ROLL

The MARK II just came off the workbench yesterday. I had another 18" hook plus the plastic handle from the
24" prybar. All these handles readily come off with carefull tapping [ hammering ] and reinstall tight
by hamering back on.
Anyway, I took the handle off the 18 and slipped the 24 on [ after drilling out the small base slug ].
then hammered the original 18 back on. . .

VOILA. . .THE...."MARK II"SmileyCentral.com

Its a copy of the long wood handled product of yours.
But the handle shifts up to 3 1/4 inches, presumably for the ultimate grunch near the business end.
The 24" handle hole is about a 1/16th larger than the 18" and so slides easily. Pic #1 shows handle full forward, then pic #2, full back.
SmileyCentral.com

The odd camera angle on pic 1 is to illustrate what you noted on previous comments. . . .its a bit "tricky
to get that tight radius on the hook, the new bend is actually in the most difficult to handle direction, like against the flat....So when the heat and bend is finished, miniumum grinding is needed and the most effective strength is accomplished.
Photobucket

24 inch pry bar, stock number 39700-3VGA

MY Captain hook story started last year at FRL, , , Sam K was using a piece of metal like a bent clothes hanger. He said his digging pal, Buddy, had been using a hay bale hook for THIRTY YEARS.
I thought " well, thats a real country bumpkins tool, little do they know what big city diggers use"
End of interest.
Couple months ago at TJ's first shot at hand dig on the new property. . . .The whole gang was using bent
screw drivers !

Matter of fact they were rebending and making new ones at the morning beer break, in a hole on the flat bed work truck.
From then I said " I gotta check this out"
BUT>>>> I gave up moving dirt with mild iron years ago
so job one was to come up with a tempered steel hook,
Enter Harbor Freight......the rest is history !

For others trying this trick "at home"....a propane torch may not produce a high enough temp to
easily bend the steel. Might have to visit a
weld shop and plead for mercy on the price !
To reduce the shop man's time on the job, might be best to remove all plastic handles and reinstall after the
hot work is done !

So now we got a hook, anybody got any leads on a
parrot and petrified wood leg

I find it incredible that those isolated "country bumpkins" kept the secret so well. . .
Has a smattering of a TX version of back in them thar
hollers of Apalachia

RATS. . . pic #1 didnt go. . . try agin >>>>

Photobucket

one of my favorite tools

Photobucket

L, Where did you locate your picture source?? I can hardly believe that that would be a public
non classified article

It's obviously from the unused alternate ending of the Indy, Ark documentary; ; ; ;

That logo looks like the dirty rotten rat ***** nazi's
third reigh nut cracker sitting on the
ARK PACKING CRATE
SmileyCentral.com

Man, you really are on a role with those pry bars.Looks like a winner. I like your descriptions. Very precise and to the point. To the point? Did I really say that. I checked with Harbour Freight and they say that set of pry bars are forged and tempered. What a deal for seven bucks. Im headed down today to pick up a set and give it a try. Anything to make it easier. Will try to post some pictures when finished.

Picked up a set of those pry bars yesterday at harbor freight. On sale for $3.99. Also picked up a new four tine cultivator at Sears on sale for $13.00. The tine head is stamped "Austria" a country known for their metal forgings. Thump the tines and they have a true ring. Head is same one used on the fourty dollar cultivators sold under Ames and Corolla brands. Handle is of a lower quality but still good. I just cut the handle off to about 18 inches which works good for me.

The TERRA TALON. . . what a great name, you can just visualise a Jurasic park raptor going after
a mountain of fire rock

When Gil reported that He paid 3.99 for tools, I figured he was wrong. So I stopped by there myself
yesterday and bought another set, Sho nuff, with tax they were 4.32