Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Petroglyphs

Just got back from Ruidoso NM. We went to Three Rivers Petroglyphs south of Carizozo, NM. I gotta say, if you are ever out there you need to stop by and see this. This highlighted my vacation. We spent two hours there and I took over 100 pictures. These are some of the best. Check em' out.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

This is the most popular petroglyph. Some archaelogists think it has to do with their population or maybe the amount of crops produced that year. But they were counting something.

Photobucket

Here's my favorite,
Photobucket

I found this the most interesting...6 fingers???
Photobucket

Here's one for you DJ, just outside our cabin...
Photobucket

Re: Petroglyphs

. .... . . . . . . SmileyCentral.com

Great pics Travis.

Made me want to go surface hunt, and sit in my deer stand at the same time! Good show Travis!

Awesome rock art!
For years I had the pleasure of being a tour guide to the Coso Mountain Petroglyphs at the Naval Weapons Center at China Lake, CA. It is among the largest two or three petroglyph sites in the world. Here's a few of my fav pix. I am slowly scanning pictures from my 35 mm collection.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Incidentally, it was common for hands and feet to have 6 or 7 fingers/toes. There was spiritual significance in that. On some of the anthropomorphs the "gender appendages" had size. and some were not exaggerated. As the theory goes, the less exaggerated the size, the more god-like the image was. Spirits had less need for those sort of things than mortals. I read that in a book anyways. Here's a link to my album. It is not extensive yet but there's a couple cool ones from Chaco that are not accessible to the public anymore.

http://s462.photobucket.com/albums/qq345/mojave_pix/Rock%20Art/?albumview=slideshow

Nice pictures Travis. Is that buck used to people or what?

Thanks guys. Thanks Mojave. Yeah DJ, these deer come up to the house and are used to people. But if you get to close the run away. This was a nice Mule deer. I was quite impressed with him. The crazy thing, alot of bucks out there were stil chasing does.. Late rut?? second rut??

I know Mule deer in Southwest Texas don't rut the same time as whitetail. This is about the time for them to rut. I don't know about Ruidosa. I would imagine with the colder weather they would a little sooner.

I was thinking the same DJ

Now days we call that graffiti

very good pictures guys. Enjoyed looking at them