Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Help Identifying this point

I recently found this point on top of the ground. It is in Gillespie County north of Kerrville and west of Fredericksburg. Any help identifying this point would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Christmas point photo

Re: Help Identifying this point

Likely the base of a general purpose "archaic knife"
It was a big one when it was new !
That area you described is a great artifact producing zone of ancient cultures. If you found that one, there will be more. . .

As that wize and wizzened sage, Geo, says..." keep ing down "

As large and thick as this piece is, I do not think it to be a point at all, but a TOOL. And, as the area is within the range and distribution of the Clearfork complex, I think it is a large Clearfork Wedge (broken, and originally longer). Clearfork culture tools were used in harvesting trees/ for wooden items. Much has been written on the Clearfork Culture, and can be found in TSA / TARL files.

SH and Mike: thanks for the quick responses. I'm off to Google the information you provided me. BTW, I have found other flint artifacts all over this site but nothing of significance.