Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
finding a campsite

I have access on land that has a river running through it. It has the high ground side and holds some water year round. Points have been surface found. Any pointers on finding a campsite.

Re: finding a campsite

What is the localized geology like? Any Limestone terrain around? If so, look for burnt rock middens/ hearths. If no limestone and coastal geology, look along the top edges of the banks for any lithic scatters, and do small periodic test holes while taking note of any surface stratum changes. Sometimes the confluence of a creek to a river is a good spot to check, and places along banks that have protection from a North wind. About all I know to suggest without more info.

I'm with Mike, need to know at least what county for a reasonable guestimate SmileyCentral.com

I myself have been trying to pinpoint the camp at my place. Behind the area of all the arrowheads, is a revene(sp).. pretty deep, I've scratched around there with no luck. I might give it another try. The ground is basically sand, and rock.. tons of flit, red's, yellow's, white rocks.. all styles...etc.. its a rock heaven for a geologist if you ask me~.. What other info is needed to locate the exact spot?

thanks in advace... chris

Coryell County on the Leon River very close to Ft. Hood. The ground is limestone with gulleys/gulches running into the river. The land on the other side of the river is very nice bottomland.

I have another location in Lampasas County that is along the top of a very tall ridgeline (probably 350-400 ft. in elevation above grade). In one section on top there is an area that is covered in very large pieces of flint. About 100 yards from this there is a cave. The roof has definitely been burned in the cave. I went into it about 12 years ago but did not dig. The ground is limestone but the dirt inside the cave is very loose. The cave is about 10 X 10 X 5ft. high. At the back of the cave is a tunnel about 2ft in diameter that goes farther than my light would shine. I went back to the cave mouth before deer season this year to see if I could find it again and found an unbroken arrowhead that had obviously eroded from the cave mouth.

That cave (rock shelter) would be a good place to dig. I'm sure you will hear from Mike on that one. Can you post the pick of the point found in there?

Steve,

You are in prime arrowhead county.

From just south of Gatesville, where the Leon River crosses Hwy 36, downstream to Mother Neff there are at least 6 camps.

If you are in that area you have a good chance of having a camp on your property.

I mean picture.

Some rules are
1) look for burnt rock middens/mounds and/or scattered flint chips

2) Shovel test elevated flat areas and anything that looks like a mound, close to the river

3) Shovel test everything else. The topography may have changed since the Indians were there and the Indians may not have known these rules.

4) If any pan out email your pal Fred to help you dig it

5) Even if you are on the low side of the river, you can still find lots of points lost during hunting. Look for areas of erosion and gravel bars along the river.