Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Any advise?

What does it mean when you are finind thousands of shells. Not tiny shells but big ones. There not very deep in the ground and go to about 2 or 3 feet down. The camp that was found is a good 100 yards away, What does this mean? Is there another camp that is near by?

Re: Any advise?

Be more specific!

We go digging in Llano texas, and on this ranch there as been several indian camps found. There is a hill we were digging on and we keep finding nothing but shells, do indians dump the remains of there food somewhere or does this mean there may be another camp near by. we also find flint in some places along with the shell but nothing that has been worked. we just keep finding nothing but shells in this location?

It might help us if you can identify what kind of shells you are referring to! Are these snail shells or larger fresh water mussle shells? If it is the latter, this is a good sign in that it could be a shell opening and dump area used by indians, But, how far away from a creek or river is the hill with these shells? I wouldn't think that they would have hauled them that far away from where they were potentially collected. I hope we are not talking fossils here, so please describe the shells!

the shells are the water mussle shells, there are small ones and some the size of your hand. Im not sure how far away from the river, I would guess less then a half a mile. The river is very close. We also find alot of bisin bone along with smaller sheels digging in a different location on the property. we just dont know what to think about the large amount of sheels were finding. I will post a pic next time i go up there and dig. one more question i was at dig fest 08 is that just a once a year event?

Kase, Mussles and snails both were a source of high protien for the native peoples. I'd say that odds are greater than not that there is a big campsite somewhere close by. Haven't been to digfest, so I will have to pass on that one. My understanding is that it is an annual event. Keep Digging!

Kase, The digfest you attended, with food, prizes and
special dig trenching is a once a year event with
all those trimmings.

A lot of people have voiced their interest in having
other dig events throughout the year, presumably without all the bells & whistles, Just get together and DIG.

There already has been two such events since Digfest,
Just keep watching the site for notices

ok thanks, this is a dumb question but, im still new to this site, do i watch to home page or the bullitan bord for events?

Casey, having dug Long's camp near Kingsland years ago, I know what you mean as to the shells. THe LLano and its tributaries were/ are major mussel grounds. Obviously much easier to procure than a side of venison. Some unusal stuff comes out of the LLano Uplift. You could possibly find a point of Topaz......clear to green to smoky. Not to mention that LLano county has probably the most schist and slate for gorget production. I envy you for having camp to dig in that area! Let me know how you do.

Kase, for dig possibilities, some kind of "organised special ", probably on the front page.
For impromtue digs, gotta watch the forum real close. . . . . .Just last week, Woolesyman
posted, going to @%^&*'s place Saturday, anybody interested, Email me SmileyCentral.com

Thanks for the advise