Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
I'm New....

Hey everyone, i just wanted to say how awesome this site is. Seems that y'all really know how to get down.. brew, arrowheads, good friends, and BBQ~.. my kinda party. I have a small ranch in Winchester outside of Bastrop, and i have about 60 surface finds. so far...from Perdiz, Cantan, early triangles, and i think i even have a serrated knife. After spending much time on this site, I'm getting a shovel out and going a little deeper this weekend. .. i'm really new to this, and i hope to take advice and info from your site to better my hunts.

Thanks again!.... keep them shovels dirty~

Chris

Re: I'm New....

ok I've been reading the forums so let me put a little more info down... sorry... the property is about 15-20 miles from smithville, located in Winchester Tx. Talking to the land owner who sold us the ranch, .. wait..let me back up.. the land is 70 acres, with 4 ponds.. the oldest pond being the one at the back of the property, dug by horse by the old mans father in the 20's or possibly earlier.. i cant remember. The place where all the points are located, from his mouth use to be the watering hole for passers on their way to giddings. The trail passed right through our property, and the place where the points are found we have now a huge 2acre lake.. behind this location is a gully or revine (sp)that looked to hold water at one point.. its pretty deep, and gets run off now from the dirt road... i need to get photos... I've found handfuls of petrified wood, and round this area are small what looks to be little bits of ash clumps.. sorry.. they are little marble or smaller size pieces of what look like old firewood or ash.. .this is kinda scattered around.. most points have been found by 3 big oaks that you cant get your hands around... huge.. They are in a triangle pattern and about 15-20 feet away from each other.all points are found on the outside's of these trees.

hope this helps.. thanks

Chris

Welcome to the site Christoper. I lived at La Grange in 83-84, and dug several sites West and South of there. Sounds like putting in a decent test hole or 2 around the Oaks is presently the thing to do. Let us know what your results are! Best Wishes!

welcome christopher. looking forward to your finds

Them oak tree's dig around them i know plenty of folks that have found points there ..also sounds like the run off might produce also .dig them test hole's and good luck and in my opinion since the trail went through there and a waterin hole is a excellent place to run a metal detector over , old coins, buttons , and other misc items are waiting to be found even military buckles,buttons,swords , bullets and cannon balls

woods & water and a near by railroad is a good plus even in indian camps trade goods points knives, and calvary items if attacked or took from the dead bodys ..

good luck hope u fimd great stuff

LEE. . . YOU RASCAL. . . SmileyCentral.com I was awake half the night
thinking about Chris' metal detector possibilities.

You took the words right off my keypad SmileyCentral.com

IM SORRY HAL DO YOU FORGIVE ME ??? LOL

MAN OH MAN WHAT COULD BE OUT THERE WAITIN TO BE FOUND !!

GOLD , SILVER , ECT A TROVE OF TREASURE ???

thanks for everyone's replies.... now knowing where the actual trail is, now that's the mystery. I've been looking online and trying to find some old pre 1900 maps that would show something, but haven't had any luck...on the other hand we do have a nice metal detector and have been around the camp but only come up with nails, screws... etc... I've created a page and put my finds on it. Please take a look and tell me what you think... and yes i fish on occasion~ *wink

http://crstfr.photoshop.com

I think what puzzles me the most is the creative minds of theses people. I've found so many different kinds and shapes and styles, i just cant believe it would come from just one possible tribe....crazy..

chris

Looks like you have a broken Andice point in your frame. I also saw all the photos of the big bass.

lol... thanks DJ... Andic Point eh?.. i did a google search, but i couldnt deterimine wich one you thought was this point... sorry for sounding dumb, i'm new to this and the names too... oh and that big girl was 12.6!

In your slide show it's the 7th picture with the three points on the far right.

It is the point on the far right. I'm fairly new too, only been on this site for a year. I have picked up a lot from the site though.

Awww.... cool DJ,,, thanks man!. another name and face to add to the memory. .. Andice....

thanks again DJ~

I stole this one from Woosleyman. I hope he don't mind. This isn't the best picture, but this I believe is an Andice. Also for another pic look at the front page at TJ's dig. He's holding one in the middle of his hand with a broken ear.

Photobucket

I'm at work now, but i leave at noon, I'll look at the image then... my work blocks photobucket~.. nice huh!.. cool thanks again for your help, and have a wonderful new yr!..

Are all those pieces found on your property? If so then I'm sure their is a lot more under the surface. You've got the right idea on putting a shovel into the ground. Definitely start around those oaks. If you need any help, give me a holler and I'll come a runnin!

Nice bass also. I hope you put that 12+ pounder on the wall! I can't wait till spring time to get after those big girls.

Also check this site out www.projectilepoints.net
It is a good site to identify points. You were talking about all those artifacts coming from one tribe right?

Perdiz 1000-500Yrs B.P. (Before present)
Andice 8000-5000Yrs B.P.
Early Triangular 9000-7000Yrs B.P.

haha.... Thanks Johnny!... yeah she's on the wall... i took all the measurements and let her go for someone else to enjoy the thrill!..... man I'm stoked to get out there... this site hypes me up on finds!.. i know Ive for sure passed over a lot of things that after reading the posts and going through all Michelle's pictures.. I also found a grooved hammer head.. but its broke~.. it has two 1/2' grooves side by side on this squre rock.. i'll snap some pics of it and post them on friday!

thanks again for lookin!~

Thanks DJ,,, i'm going there now!

Well good luck on the artifact hunting Chris. It looks like you have a good piece of property that'll keep you busy for a very long time. Don't forget to post up picture on here for us to see. I know I never get tired from looking at points. Good luck brother!

well.... only one find for 1hr searching!.. bottom half of what looks to be a perdenales point. I also collected more petrified wood. We have a ton of this on the property too.*(some that look like old campfire wood). I was able to manage to bring all my findings home, and picture and clean them. the smart thing is i left the darn disk at home with all my update pics. Oh and i think i found a nice Mano as well. I'll try and update this link this afternoon with my new photos. I had points and tools that i didn't even have pictures of.. so we'll have something new to look at.

http://crstfr.photoshop.com

Thanks guys,