Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Want to be in the Cornertang club

My name Steven Moore live in Carthage Texas been digging for over 15yrs.I have found many killer artifacts through out the years butI have always wanted to be in the conertang club.I don't dig much in central Texas but this is one point I want to find in the next few years.Since I live in east Texas whats my chances to find one of these bad boys on one of the pay digs?I used to do a lot of digging in Kerr county and seen a few come out of the ground.I used to help Bob Mcwilliams back in the day as his test digger.Man thoses were the days!I even seen a few dug out at Chrisiners.Its the one thing that has to be done to make me and my collection complete.Sooo which pay dig is going to give me my best opportunity to find one of these buggers.Looking for a game plan.

Re: Want to be in the Cornertang club

Steve- there's alot of guys on here that would know more about where to go than I do. I am not from central Texas. But I have dug out in Bastrop, Barskdale, Leakey, Mineral Wells, and Henrietta in the last year. I would think you would have the best chance at The Frio River Landing in Leakey. If I were you I would stay a few days before it gets too hot in May and move as much dirt as I could in the time I have. Check with everyone else before you take my advise on The Frio River Landing though.

By the way Steve I'd like to join that distinct club as well.....

It ain't much! Kinda like a 10 yo made it

BUT I think I am still in the club!

Michelle

you are definately in the ctang club Michelle

Its just a baby , I know..

I am still waiting for the grown up one to find me

Michelle

I guess I missed the club by 1/4

AHHHH !!!! THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!!!

I as well would love to find the 8 in Corner Tang but a 2.5 would be good enough. Michelle I think you are a hellofa gal to go out digging like you do I cant get my beautiful wife to even go digging I quote ( I might break a nail ughh!!!) she tells me. Well she just said in the background she,d go on my birthday weekend in Feb. Ha Holding my breath for that,anyway keep those picks ,swinging uh half picks LOL

Your fellow digger,
Jpthedigger

Then we all should go together! heh

I am a Feb child myself .. Dirty nails and all! Just don't tell me yours is on the 22nd or this will get kinda WiErD !

HELLOOO to the lady with nice nails .. From the lady with no nails!!!

Michelle

M what is weird being born in the same hospital. In Feb

when we met down in Moody Tx you told me Which Hospital you were born in My birth certificate has the same hopspital.

Now I can't remember!! Fairview ?? Feb 22, 1970
I believe anyway!

I am just a young digger gal 8)

I am fairview general hosp class of 66

CRAZY I tell ya!
Both transplanted from OHIO to dig in the TEXAS DIRT!

Pretty Cool if you ask me! ANd you didn't I know! heh

What is this ? ? ? An old timers geneology club meeting ??? what about poor Steven that just wants to know exactly where to dig for a corner tang ? ? ?

Steven, the EXACT location of a a CTang is why the books say they are VERY RARE.
It might have something to do with, "if one's got your number on it, theres nothing you can do about it"

Consider that TWO CTangs were found on the same day, in a trench that 100 people had been digging in weeks before [ Digfest 08 ]

Location, location, location.

It's not every day or even every decade that we find a place with the perfect features that corner tang man needed. What is usually in common however, is a consistent fresh water source, shelter, and indigenous high grade material or flint. It's pretty much the perfect storm for an artifact to be created. The location is often times (at least in my case) a place where people probably lived and died for generations, as the place provided a lifestyle above and beyond one of nomadic hardships. That is to say that in an environment protected from the North wind, East to West sunshine, cold, clean, clear water, pure flint available, and the ability to harvest fish, fowl, and even ambush, corral, or jump bison into a box canyon near the spring, you've got a pretty darn good chance of picking up a corner tang if you can locate the this place, and the heart of the slaughter near the middens. CT people were artisans, they were living pretty well to be afforded the time to be able to turn out such exquisite pieces.
If you make it that far, you have to work, sweat, and dig your butt off in hopes of finding one, then get insanely lucky to be the one to dig in just the right spot/direction to recover it, and not leave it behind or watch the first time digger find it on his first day. Visualize it, and it will eventually transpire.

There is nothing you can do about fate let me tell you. I have been digging at least 10 years and haven't found a piece of one. However I took a good friend of mine on one of his first digs at the second mound he had ever been too. And wouldn't you know it he popped a perfect corner tang. I almost just gave up digging all together after that day. This is the very one posted in our first couple pictures.(A few of our favorite points I think)

PB, I really enjoyed seeing in print, your observations of affluent camps.
All one has to do is make objective comparisons of finds from Camp wood [ also includes Leakey ] with
examples of the same people from the eastern hill country.

We have dug in some camps where we have always said " it was the working class part of town "

Tks for the input