Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Another Campsite Collection

This assortment of artifacts came from a campsite in Austin County just across the border from Fayette County. I was very pleased to the see the nice array of artifacts posted by Keith from his campsite in Fayette County. These pieces were all dug up here on the farm in the past few years. Most of them are easily classified but a couple remain untyped.
That odd-shaped piece at the bottom of the photo caused a couple of double takes and a bit of speculation when it first came up in the sifter. Examination of the wear patterns on its edges under high magnification indicates that it was a triple-edged shaft-shaver. I would hesitate to speculate on the effigy possibilities. You can use the six inch Celt in the upper left hand corner for scale.

Various points

Re: Another Campsite Collection

HAY!

tHE ONE AT THE BOTTEM LOOKS LIKE MY CAT!

What a wonderful assortment of points!!!!

Michelle

Note: that Celt in the upper left hand corner is five inches long not six. It must have shrunk since I found it. I've had deer do that after they're on the ground.

LOL redman

Hey great points awesome collection :)

like the dark one middle right. scottsbluff?

I don't think you could drag me out of that camp with a whole team of clydesdales!What an awesome variety.

That dark Scottsbluff is the best of its type that I have ever found. There are several other Scottsbluff I's and II's and a couple of others that are borderline and probably from the same culture.
The long slim slightly curved blade in the second to last row, right side is fluted on one side and is wafer thin and at first I thought it was Paleo but found it in association with Pedernales points. Sometimes the basal thinning on a Pedernales point resembles fluting. The fourth point from the right in that same row has caused some head-scratching and I am leaning toward Langtry-Arenosa. The Pedernales drill exhibits faint longitudinal wear patterns that indicate it was used in association with soft materials.
This site is about a hundred yards from my back door I dig there every day.

Hi Redman, yes, you have shown that black Scotty before, and it is a real beauty (love it). Great collection, and good to see you posting again. After a few months of hard ranch work, we have started back digging in our cave again, but no major finds yet.

What are the big straight stemmed points on the 3rd row from the top?

Fred, nothing is etched in stone here (no pun intended) but from L. to R.:
Scottsbluff II
Scottsbluff II
Delhi
Scottsbluff II
Unclassified. This point does have some SB characteristics except for those sloping shoulders.

Give me some feedback, what do you think they are?

HAY FRED

SHOOT ME A EMAIL - I NEED TO SEE IF I CAN GET A FEW PICTURES FROM YOU - I TRIED EMAILING YOU GET GOT NOTHING BACK.

MICHELLE

The middle one sure looks like a Delhi, but I thought that was an East Texas point.
I think the one just to the left of the Delhi looks like a Scottsbluff.
The other ones look more similar to a lot of the Mid-Late Archaic straight stemmed points.

Hello Mike, I am pleased to hear that you are back in the cave. I hope you had enough rain for your stock to have a little bloom on them going into the winter. I'm having trouble typing some of these stemmed points; like Fred said there are some mid-archaic features but I keep going back to the ground bases and stems and the parallel flaking.
Some of the points have all the SB characteristics and then there are these; maybe they are transitional.

Hi Redman, well, we need rain bad out here! I even tried a Lipan Apache dance in the cave....still no rain.
OK, I had to put my glasses on to see the points in the photo better, so if were on the same page...meaning 3rd row down, 5 larger stemmed points, Left to Right,....Looks like Lange,Hardin,Hardin,Scotty II(Nice & Dark), And Last but not Least with Nice swept shoulders Has Got to be a JORA, of which are rarily abundant anywhere!