Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Fake or real?

I purchased some more points from the same place I bought the Perdiz for a low cost. Just wondering what you guys thought real or fake? Brad and I think that these types aren't usually faked, but who knows. I know I originally thought I would never buy any, but I kind of ran across this place and couldn't help myself.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Can anyone tell what type the top one is?

Re: Fake or real?

I really don't know chit but Ive seen alot . I'm saying their real the flute looks to good to be fake if ya ask me

Never overpay, when in doubt just walk away. I've bought literally thousands of points over the years, and yes i've bought some fakes. You'll never know for certain, unless you send off to Dwain Rogers.
Happy New Year

I don't think I'll ever overpay for points. The only reason I was attracted to these is because if they are real they were not priced high enough, and if they aren't I won't be upset for what I payed. I think I am going to send them off, so I'll know for sure and steer clear of that place if bad news comes.

I DUNNO LOOKS GOOD BUT I BOUGHT PLENTY OF WHAT I THOUGHT WHERE GOOD THAT TURNED OUT TO BE BAD AND AFTER PAYING OVER A THOUSAND ON POINTS I LEARNED A VALUABLE LESSON I ASK FOR A 30 DAY INSPECTION PERIOD AND IF IT DOES NOT PAPER I CAN GET MY MONEY BACK

IF A BUSINESS OR A PERSON IS LIGIT HE OR SHE WILL HONOR IT

Hi DJ,

Here are some fakes that I unknowingly purchased in 1982 at a public auction from a private "museum". Live and learn. Fakes

Those do look a little to good to be true.

DJ, well, you have a couple of drills, the top resembles a plainview, and the bottom is what is reffered to as a paddleback, or oar shaped base.
Your probably ok on them, but I have a suggestion for you, so consider it like food for thought. Alot of collectors I know like to give their artifacts the Light test (Blacklight) in looking for new made stuff. This is not hard to learn how to do, and there are books available with descriptions for use. Many dealers at the shows have them and use them, and can give you tips on things to look for. From what I have heard, very few fakes ever make it past this test.
I mention it to you like an investment for your collection, as getting field grade points papered will get expensive quick for what they are, and save the papering for High Dollar value types and grades.

You don't think it would be a good idea to send the top one to Dwain? I mainly want to find out about the place where I am buying them. The owner says a guy digs them up and then sales them.

DJ, I'm surprised at YOU, asking for an online judgement of real or fake based on an internet pic.
You were in on the lengthy postings yourself,six or seven months ago, it cant be done !

Mike's input is the perfect NO COST first test. . .put em under a U/V light [ No U/V light? hit your favorite disco joint ! ]

They are very nice points, but in regards to R or F, my first thought was the people I have seen at the flint shows buying up all the brokes of any size or uniqueness they can find, for the stated purpose of
reknapping them. Drills would actually be a favorite because the new flaking would not have to match the parent base.

BUT. . . .IF you DID establish an honest digger that privatly sells his finds , thats great.

There are 2 top notch flint shows in the next two months, one close to you. Almost any of the dealers can give you a free non binding opinion. [ also look over the $2. broke buckets ]

I know you can't give an exact answer on whether or not these are real by the picture, I just wanted to see what everybody thought. I'll find out soon enough.

DJ, it's a personal choice for you, just depends how fast you need a definite answer. Dwain will charge you $25 + postage + plus you gave x for the point, + any mail insurance you might want. Is that worth it to you? I'd take it to the next show, catch Dwain when he is not busy...sitting there looking like a wooden indian, and show it to him. I've seen him pass judgement many times for free, because he gets bored.

DJ, are you going to the Waxahatchie show? If so, pick up the blacklight, well worth the money if you continue to buy points...I've bought quite a few and have been mostly in good shape, but every once in a while I get burned...

I'll probably go to the show. Thanks Larry.

Pat, I see him at most of the shows I do, and know him well enough that he'd laugh it off, as he readily admits that he gets bored. He does not have, and frankly does not want a computer, is from an old school, but he is a great guy, and can surprisingly talk your ear off when he gets going, and knows more about artifacts than many of us ever will. He's not the easiest person to get to know, just human, but he is the real deal.

The black light is well worth the $10 or $15 bucks. It's saved me enough times.The new flaking will jump right out at you.

When I read the thread title, I was expecting something else!

Well, I decided to send the top drill to Dwain to see if these things are real or not, so I would know weather or not to continue to buy from this place anymore. He didn't paper it and said it may have been an artifact that has been messed with. Brad was right about it being too ground because Dwain comented on that and said the base wasn't right for that type (I'm guessing plainview). I'm going to see if I can return them sense the lady told me they were not modern. I'm going to ask what the guys name is that sells them to her and post it on here. Ok Hal, you can at me now. These probably did come from buckets of brokes from an arrowhead show and reworked. Lesson learned. By the way, the code for this is w666.

DJ I onced asked a girl your same question.

And?

Has been my wife for over 11 years

DJ, sorry for you to hear the results...part real, but messed with. It was really hard to tell from just the photos, but the black light test would have told you the answer right away, as the messed with parts would have really stood out from the rest.

No laughs from me DJ, interesting project, good report, all part of the flint "game".

If your teetering on the edge of buying some points, like a sampling of one of each point common to Texas but want to be assured authenticity without papering each and every one. . .
I strongly recomend you talk to BILL ARNOLD and TODD CHISOLM.
These diggers have their own middens, no need for skulldugery and BARRELS of G-6 to G-9's. Prices can be suprisingly resonable.

Some cost justification is the $200. dig fee now gets you a guaranteed "find". You have seen the posts this last year, not ALL pay dig customers are satisfied. There also can be some adventure to buying [ FORGET EBAY !] to put a finger on the flint you want to buy, you need to get to the flint shows, no matter where they may be....Bill & Todd might have a few wheel barrels of flint with them !

Good luck

I don't really have any desire right now to buy any artifacts. I just happened to come up on this antique shop that had their prices real low.

I wiped these pics from photobucket forgetting they will take them off of my posts. Well, in all I bought 10 artifacts along with these drills and I got a full refund back on Sat. It's a antique shop in Rainbow next to Glen Rose called American Country market. The owner gave me my money back, but doesn't believe Dwain Rogers when he said the drill is fake, so she's still going to sale the points. She wouldn't give me the guys name that sales them to her, so I can't post it. She doesn't believe the guy is lying to her because he said he's gone up to Dwain at a show and showed him a point he personally dug and Dwain called it a reproduction. I think the guy is lying because he sold two corner tangs to the antique shop and they sold both for $50 each. If he has gone to these arrowhead shows than he knows they are worth a lot more than that. I just thought it was somebody digging them up and saleling them not knowing he wasn't getting enough. He did admit he buys some from buddies and some are personal finds. Anyway, at least I got my money back, even though I lost the money to get the drill papered and gas going to get my refund.

DJ some times you just don't want to call a person a liar but points like every thing else. IF it seems to good to be true its probably not true. be aware of people with stories of why they have to sell fast and if their offering you 7500.00 dollar savings on a 10,000. point and they have never met you and you have never meet them that should raise a red flag.

I know most of the time if it's too good to be true it probably isn't, but I also know that people can get lucky also. The guy sold these to the antique shop and said they are all real. He knows what he is doing and he knows he is a liar too . What makes me feel good about the deal is that the owner gave me my money back. I was posting this so people would stay away from the place (American Country Market)as far as buying arrowheads.