Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Medallion- Dilley Texas

This was found in a plowed field close to the Frio River on a 12,000 acre ranch outside of Dilley Texas. Supposedley it was close to an old stage coach stop. The date on the front of the medallion appears to be 1916. Any input is greatly appeciated.

Re: Medallion- Dilley Texas

Sorry- Here's the picPhotobucket

WHATS THE BACK LOOK LIKE?

It looks like a 3" vintage souvenir replica of a 1916 standing liberty quarter. There is one available for sale on eBay.

Looks like Red has the research on it. Back in those days medalions, tokens and medals were big deal.

WWI was raging in 1916, I was thinking it might have had some patriotic value to the owner.

1916, on the Frio in Texas ! That was practically still the frontier, who dropped it out thar ?

Hey SH, it's still pretty much frontier. I live just north of Dilley. One day we might make it to the 20th centtury.

Te [ and Mike ] no offence meant to ruralites. Mention of the Frio river just brought up visions of the territory north of Uvalde.
So this morn I thought I better actually hit the maps and find out about this Dilley place....What a surprise, thats practically a suburb of the San Antonio plex. I never looked south of Uvalde before !

Well now, maybe that medalion was dropped by a military guy out on "war games" [ getting ready for
the European trenches !]

None taken. The old spanish trail went thru Frio co. and I know of one civil war camp on the Frio/Leona rivers near IH 35, so there's no telling what kind of relic you might find

Hal, I am out here very much by choice, as the wilder it is the better I like it! We are as far back on a county road as you can get, and both South and West of us is nothing but wild rugged hill country / big private ranches. There are loads and loads of lost treasure tales, etc. Hiking out here is different than near a big city, if you don't pack a side arm you might not come back. Lots of wild boar and cougars roaming about. Went for a hike today and jumped a 400lb boar. Was glad it ran from me than for me! My new cave finds number well into the 60's now, and these were not previously known or explored, so to me this area is a paradise away from the rat race!

Mike, Your area sounds like Shang Gri La, absolutly idealic !
As you know, I'm in Austin. As a study in lifestyles; I am at the exact polar opposite.
. . . I live in Shan gri La La land !

In my past years I would take a trip out to the west coast to see the sights of someplace different, not unlike a day trip to the zoo.
Now there is no need to make the long trip. . . . "They" have replicated the whole shmear right here, Sort of an LA on the third coast. YOU might enjoy a visit, they have all the usual tourist amenities but you still might need your firearm, same as on the frontier, dangerous animals are still here.

400 Lb boar! What a trophy, If only they had antlers !

Enough geography, I went to check on Red's Ebay input,via Google.
Interesting, the original quarter is $7,500. !
near as I could see, all the details are precicely the same, including some smaller details like that
"dotted" pattern around the edge. Sale pics show an eagle on the
obverse [ not standing ] On the medallion ?

Maybe the hole was an "after market" modification and
it was originally glued onto something [ like a coin dealers cigar box of quarters ? ]