Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hal and I BOTH found GORGET's today!!! take a look!

HERE ARE TODAY'S GORGET hoard!!!!

Mine is the first one with 2 holes - Made FROM
CLEAR  Quartz!!!!

I am waiting to clean it up till I have had
a chance to scan it!  My FIRST One ever!! Woo hoo!

The Second one is Hal's !! he found his first
today!  ANother to add to his gorget collection!

His is made from what looks to be lime stone

Re: Hal and I BOTH found GORGET's today!!! take a look!

Here you can see the light through it -
I want to clean it!!!!!

But, not yet!

wow! nice. what exactly were they used for? is this defferent than a pendant?

The Pecker's Gorget [ Pendant ? ] find may rate very high in Jewelry / accesories catagories because it is
evenly TRANSLUCENT. As we speak [ type ] it has not been washed so the actual material is not sure !
What other mineral is "workable" translucent.?

FYI, I have seen the " I have just found a corner tang celebration dance " last year.
Well I can now report that because gorget finds are more rare than Ctangs, the celebration dance is more lively by a factor of TWO. Sorta like plugging your 110 voltage stereo into a 220V line !

Trav, Until someone chimes in with better words, I think a Gorget is like a breast plate, some examples I have seen can be quite small to quite large.
I dont even how pendents might be determined !

Super awesome. I love gorget's and have always wanted one. Good find. Something weird going on yesterday, gorget's and beads all over bein dug up.

thanks Hal. And yall both snagged one yesterday.. that's pretty cool.

what did hal say in his post?

Could someone please translate what hal said?

Was this site the one at Dripping Springs, Rio Bravo?

Congratulations Many Fold, this is quite a valuable item, and if it has calcified carbon ash deposits on it, it will be worth even more if you do not remove all of it. Sure does make one wonder what the second one looked like whole! Any ideas as to what culture made it....Tonkawa's perhaps? 2 Thumbs UP for 2 Gorgetts!

Silver

No .. We don't have to dig at pay sites, we have our own dig site.

Mike

See hal, thats what I was thinking .. I have a Bone Awe that looked great with all these cut marks in in ans such.., then I cleaned it.. and now its just another bone

This I think I will have to just NOT CLEAN - If I clean it it will never be the same again! I will just have to leave it the way I found it ! I know its quartz and see through.. I don't have to clean it all the way to prove it to myself!

I like it with the origional dirt just fine!

Thanks Mike!!!

So , is it Gorget or Pendant????? I am guessing pendant because of the size ??

Michelle,
Awesome finds that SH & you made, great photos, thanks for posting.....

No kidding great find. Still looking for mine.... one day. Super material.

Michelle, the calcified carbon ash deposits are one component of characteristics looked for in authentication, such as patina, and others. These ash deposits, to my knowledge, are still regarded as non fakeable.
William Brethauer (now deceased), was a highly respected artifacts authority in the Austin area, and a Life long digger. He once told me anything worn via a single hole was a pendant, and more than hole, a gorgett. His home was a 3 story victorian, and a wall to wall museum, and he had many,many of each. You meet some impressive people in life, but this guy was something else, and I'll never forget him, or his knowledge he shared with me as a young digger.

I give up !

I never remove the calcified ash scale off any finds, just a water rinse to remove the clinging dust from
last months rain.

Washed mine [ to make sure it's not green Jade ], , ,
Reddish/ yellow sandstoned limestone.

Mike, I dont know enough about these things to pin down the culture. We're on the downslope of a burned rock midden now [ not in a drainage ]so levels are
better defined. Martindale, Nolan and Wells low.
Gorgets [ 15 feet apart ] came from a mid-range with predominatly
Perds, Montell and Williams.

Hal, the majority of sites within and along the Balcones escarpment of Williamson and Travis Counties are prehistoric Tonkawa sites, and the point types you mentioned fit well for those occupational spans. Historically, they were pushed out Northward by Lipan Apache moving up from the southwest. Then the buffalo vanished from the plains, the Tonkawas movement North was cut off by the Kiowas in southern oklahoma and the North Texas plains. All descendants of the Tonkawas were then rounded up by the Calvery to a reservation in Oklahoma, where the last of them are today. Source: The Indians of Texas/ WW Newcomb.
The back history adds a little special flavor when your out digging, as they were cannibalistic, but Only in a ritualistic sense.

Awesome! Congrat's you two...