Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Brazos River Gorget

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

That is a GORGEOUS and well worked piece.....nice !

N/T

Re: Brazos River Gorget

That is a fine artifact. Is it slate? Where (county) on the Brazos was it found? Under what circumstances?

It was found in Grimes Co. near Navasota on a ranch on the Brazos River. The area that it was found on is not really on the Brazos River but not far. An arial view shows that the Brazos River used to run by but has changed course. Or maybe the Brazos used to be higher. Anyways, we were working an area where the cows walking down from a higher area have caused erosion. We were working the eroded bank. When I found it we stopped and started sifting. My friend thought we might find some beads. And we did. Bead count was 46. I got to keep 6 of the nastier looking ones. He kept 40. The beads he kept were all symetrical and very nice. Mine are narly compared to his. I have not seen a better one from Texas. I'm sure there are some, but I haven't seen them. I'm sure I will never find another.

amazing gorget!! hematite right?

Not sure what the material is. I don't think it is made of anything local. Has crackling like old pottery. Has what looks to be a bubble under the crazing like it has been fired. I'm no expert. Would really like someone with the expertise to look at it. Anybody have a suggestion who would know? I think it is the "BEST" Texas Gorget ever. Would like to see pictures if anyone has one better.

That is hematite and is one heck of a find.I have seen many of them but that is a about as fine as they get.Be sure to take care if its fresh out the ground.I have seen them things come all apart when they dry out.Hematite is all over here in east Texas.Anyways super just super find and really rare to boot.

Nice piece. Either low grade hematite or high grade limonite.

What are those beads made of? I found one similiar but larger on the Sulphur River outside of Paris, TX. At first I thought it was a pork chop bone. :)

A true treasure in it's own rite....very impressive!

I live in Brazos Co. Know of anyone in the Brazos/Grimes area that would allow some surface hunting or maybe some digging? I do most of mine in Conroe and I'm looking for something a little closer.

K, a superb find [ chalengers to "best in TX", lets see it! ]

Contributor inputers, my heartiest THANKS, Especially Steve M that sounds very positive on HEMITITE including a "drying out" factor.

Bout a year ago I found a piece of a Gorget in Williamson county, Not good condition, it probably had a hard life before I dug it up !
However, the material was mysterious and beautiful.....Behold;;;;;

Photobucket

The larger section is authentic, the other, my homemade repair [ just for a better idea of original configuration]
Hopefully the camera angle shows the "crazing" and also it is quite curved.
I'm sure the crazing is more defined from when it first came out of the ground, probably the drying process Steve mentioned. [guess I'm lucky it did not turn to dust ]

Mystery material no longer !

There it is again! ! ! ! ! ANOTHER interesting / unique find on my favorite River System !
4 Chris J re "where" . . . K's big find is not far south of my fossil site on the river [ RT 21 crossing].
I have no clue on dig / screening possibilities [ Other than D2's pay dig, well north ]

Flint N fossils are where you find them .

SH that's a turtle shell.

RG, I wish you would use the apropriate smiley face so I would know if your serious or joking !

I never thought of something like turtle, that would explain the curve and it is uniformly quite thin. It's hard to see but there could be a subtle pattern
thats non mineral. Lastly, the not shown interior is PERFECTLY smooth, nary a hint of crazing / cracking.

Now my item looks more like amphibian [ until I hear from somebody That knows of a gorget from the armor scoot from a Triceratops ! ]

TKS RG

that,s a really nice artifact. I guess that finding a gorget, especially one as nice as that is pretty rare?
excuse my ignorance,I have only been artifact hunting for about 4 or 5 months now.
Learning something new every day.

eric, the "list" of rare finds is completely unwritten, when somebody posts something and actually gets some feedback, that could be rare !

Once you get 20 to 30 years experience and get it all figured out. . . .THEN. . . .you have to deal with not only rare but What " G " [ GEE ? ] rating it is. . .
K's gorget might be a G-12+. . . . The turtle gorget of mine might be like the temperature in Chicago !
[ below zero ]