Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
assorted rocks/arrowheads

Photobucket

this is a photo of a few of the things my husband has...we have posted the arrowheads or some of them as you know, this is just for conversation

Re: assorted rocks/arrowheads

this another piece of rock--petrified wood(agatized) he thought would be nice to show

Photobucket

nice pics, thanks for sharin'

np. the large red rock, under a UV light, is orange/green/blue/deep purple and red, and brilliant yellow, lol. Teh red just barely shows under the light. We know it is not red obsidian.

cool stuff, great color too.

thanks...hubby always wanted to get it cut to make a belt buckle, bolo, and hat pin out of it, he says it would make great "beer joint" jewlery,lol says a perosn could smile and profile really great at the local watering hole,lol

Sandy, your large red piece appears to be some Arizona petrified wood from the Famous Petrified Forest park area. Looks to be somewhat opalized.

what is the black one below the red rock?

its a black obsidian with a gold sheen in it....it can not be typed( sent it in)becasue the base was snapped off so I cant tell you what it is other than that...the knapping is extrememly crude, it has mineral growth on it, and is unfinished. the other side of it has what appears to be either mineral growth or the matrix rock.
I am trying to find a mineralologist to have it looked at as a rock specimen

does anyone know if there might be a mineralologist(sp) at the Fredericksberg show?

Back in my younger days I did lapidary work, bought a lot of raw material. There is a gold sheen obsidian and another called snow flake obsidian. Don't know about the gold sheen, but the white in snow flake obs. was suppossedly ash. The stuff I have now I bought in Wash. state this summer. Don't know if that will help

On the clear red one, if you can find out the hardness, you should be able to narrow down what kind of mineral it it.

the hardness of the clear red one is between a 6 and a 6 1/2.....he traded that last year for a truck.

look under the posting of mine "rock collection piece" at the clear one he has and let me know what you think about that one. We showed it to a jewler and he was the one that told us to have it radiated to enhance the blue in it. We would love to go to the Frederricksberg show but are not able to at this time. Just cant afford on the budget right now.

It could be rutilated quartz. What is the moh hardness on it? And what area did it come from? I've never seen a topaz with dendrites in it. There are several web sites on mineral crystal identification. There are some crystals that radiate different colors under uv light. That is another identifying guide.

Quartz has a moh hardness of 7, topaz has a hardness of 8. If that helps you out. Topaz is also brittle.

ok, thanks, will check the harness of it again, I have checked the other sites for minerals and could not find anything quite like it...will look around again,we took it the clear one to a University, and the geologist that looked at it, was able to chip a piece off, which he put in his pocket afterwards,lol. He wouldnt let us look at it under the scope. He wanted to keep the red one, but wouldnt give us any information on it..anyhow, like I said that one is gone now, so will keep looking for info on the clear one. Thanks!

No problem. I had rocks I bought or found from all of south and north America, excluding a lot of crystals. I sold or gave away most because of the weight in moving them. Artifacts are much more portable. I still have a few, excluding fossilized crabs, dino dung, etc. but this ain't the site to post them on. Hope you get your point authenticated soon as I've seen a lot of Mayan, Toltec, and Inca points that are unbelievable.

Sorry, I meant including, not excluding.