Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Point ID Help

Photobucket

Photobucket

Hey Gang,

Longtime lurker. First time poster here. Was wondering if you guys could tell me what your thoughts were on the far right point type. Right at 3 inches long and I believe it's Alibates. This is a find of my buddies. I'm no expert but it just didn't look broke to me. Can they be beveled that steeply? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Point ID Help

Where were they found?
The one in question looks alot like an Ohio flint (Flint ridge flint)
But my screen may be off where did they come from?

Hey Leonard,

Duh...Sorry I didn't include that.

The Perd and Nolan are Kerr County finds

The one in question came from right across the highway from the Alibates National Monument near Fritch, TX. Best friend found it on a quail hunt.

The other two he found while walking his dog in a subdivision in Kerrville. Just happened to go comb over a large dirt pile where a new house was being built. It was the "throw dirt" from under the slab. Found both of them without a single tool within 20 minutes of each other. My buddy isn't even a collector but he has pretty dang good luck!

The base of the one in question look's like it's been broken off in the photo of the end. But the other photo of it look's like it's fluted. I'd call it a Plainview if the base hasn't been broken off & if there's grinding along the sides of the base.

Did you say underinfluence opinion The last Time today I gave an opinion today I had a tounge lashing.My Lips are sealed today. Get one from Rick.

lol

The Alibate must be a snapped base something, other than plainview.
Ever notice that most of the casual finds by people that were NOT looking for flint, find the most phonominal near complete points. . . . Never just a base or tip !

It always works that way. When you are looking for something like the truck keys. I can search for hours get very frustrated.give up then find them later just sitting somewhere out in the open. In the artifact world some of my best surface finds happen when not out hunting. Just blabbing Iced in today. So today I am gonna not do anything on purpose.Nothing different. Now I just have a legit excuse!

Your talking bout the alibate flint. I've never found anything but one black bird point of non-native flint, everything else is the local chert. Wonder how far south the alibate has traveled? I'm located sw of SA