Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hey Rick, real or fake?

Photobucket

Re: Hey Rick, real or fake?

Trouble maker?
A year or so I think the pictured point was posted with a paper behind it or next to it.

Photobucket

Is that Coshocton Flint? Pretty Nice!!!

really don't know but if their yours and you brought them or found them ill bet you spent 20 bucks 2 find out

coshocton flint

Just what kind of flint is that?

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u180/summers713/?action=view¤t=dwain-1.jpg

There it is.

Jack The pic aint their try the link u posted

I found a harrel point minus the tip in LaSalle co.of black flint. Looks kinda like the same material. It's translucent around the edges. It's the only black flint in my collection.

RGS coshocton flint is from up in ohio pure black almost like obsidian real black and makes real nice tools very sharp

first one is from California, the second one is a mystery point to me.

Possible adena?

I just clicked on the picture itself and it took me to his photobucket albums. I love your fishing stuff. My dad gave me my grandpa's tackle box when I was in my teens. It had about thirty lures in it. Most of them were 40-50 years old, all wood. Unfortunatly a family member stole them. Left me the tackle box with two small spinners. My plan is to try to find some old lures to replace them, my dad was very upset over loosing them. Looks like there isn't much that you DON'T collect. Good stuff.

Chris J

I remember seeing the Roger's COA calling it a Buchanan Eared point. If the COA is real, which I don't doubt, is almost certainly based on similar point descriptions published by Noel Justice. These points are found in North/Central California. They are variants of the Humboldt Concave Base series. True Buchanan Eared points were originally found around the Buchanan Reservoir near Yosemite. They looked different but similar. RGS' point is like many points found from the Bodie Hills down to Truman Meadows and Owens Valley. This is my old stomping grounds and am very familiar with these points. It does look like Bodie Hills Obsidian which is typically very dark and opaque. Most other obsidian sources from that area produce finer translucent obsidian. It can be sourced for about $30 if you wanted. And btw, I am sure it is authentic.

Here it is

Photobucket

Man that is some point ! did you dig it or buy it ?

It was the very first arrowhead i bought, some 8 years back, the first of many thousands. I came across some gentleman or he came across me, said he found it as a kid. I paid $75 sight unseen(mail order transaction), for he did tell me that a gallery in California had offered him several hundred dollars, but sold it to me, because it was a gift for my father. This is the only point i've ever sent off, did so out of curiosity. My good friend Fred said it might fetch $1000, but it's in our collection to stay. The second one came with one of my purchases, never thought about sending it off for a COA.

Cool story beginners luck. I started a tin toy collection by accident by coming across a yard sale by the original owner of the 1936 trucks and cars. Most collectors would not come across these in a life time.Beginners luck is great

RGS,
Here's a more "typical" Buchanan Eared.
Buchanan Eared

What's the story of your point?

No special story. Just one of hundreds I picked up over the years in that area.