Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
The Origins of Golf

The modern game of golf as we know it originated in 15th century Scotland. Recently Archeologists have claimed references to a form of golf from Egyptian hieroglyphs dating to 3000 BC. There is some evidence, however meager, that the game may have had a much earlier origin in Texas, or more specifically in Travis County, on Onion Creek. This "Paleo Putter" and egg-shaped ball (the round ball had not yet evolved) provide that meager evidence. Paleo golf courses were undoubtedly of the links variety and were probably dangerous places to be. In them days there really were Tigers in the Woods.

[

Paleo putter

Re: The Origins of Golf

They could use the club on a tiger.Making a hole in ones head .

Cheeez Red, You shoulda spoke up sooner ! People have posted " game balls " before but never exactly WHAT game ! now we know.

Here's a perfect example. . . . . Go back and look at Geo's posting two days ago, , ," FOGGY DAY = GOOD FINDS " There is a " game ball " on the right side of the pic with all the finds. I just thought it was a Spanish blunderbus musket ball, Geo doesn't explain. . .

Late archaic Topflight ?

That is one awesome Saber Tooth Tiger skull! Is it an original one or a repro & where did you locate it?
Silver

Silver, the sabertooth skull is a museum casting. The original was found at La Brea. I have had it for years but I believe it was done for UCLA by a group called Skulldruggery. Today with the new polymers it is somewhat difficult to distinguish a casting from the original.

Yeah Red, I have been to that La Brea tar pit. Those skull repos are superb and not cheap.

I was going to buy a $900. one but I couldn't deceide on that natural color one or the tar baby colored one.

I'd like to post a pic of the Sue tooth [ Largest T-Rex in captivity ] repo that I never bought cause of the green color [ $ 75. ]

One of my old producrs retired to Berghiem. Told me there were caves on property his wife she had inherited that had saber cat bones, heiroglypics, poinrs in them. Wouldn't let anybody hunt there tho. Don't know how true that is, boout the bones I mean

Tehuacana, The most well-known cave deposits with sabertooth remains are in the Freisenhahn Cave west of Brady in Concho County. Three different species of big sabertooths were found, including Smilodon californicus of La Brea Tar Pits fame. A smaller fourth species of feline known as the scimitar cat was also found. The scimitar cat was the size of an African lion and is thought to have gone extinct about 10,000 years ago. Bergheim is in Kendall County and there is no reason why there could not be caves in the area with sabertooth and other Pleistocene mammal remains. The remains of jaguars are actually much more common in Pleistocene cave deposits than those of the sabertooths. All of the sabertooths went extinct and the jaguar survived.

Guess I'll never know tho, John Moore died two years ago of sleep aphnea at 55 and I haven't heard from his wife since, don't even know if she's still there. I still wish he'd at least have let me see the bones. They weren't going to remove them from the cave. She was a game biologist for the parks and wild life.

Wooh, now there's a couple of stories for cat lovers.
Interesting whats in the nooks & crannies of TX !

Just maybe we'll get another find story from Mike when he finishes his cave exploring project on the fort Hood reservation.

Somewhat tied into Red's report of the Smiley's bones. . . The latest issue of CENTRAL STATES ARCHAEOLOGICAL JOURNAL has an article [ with pics ] of GROUND SLOTH bones a guy found while creek surfacing in SW Iowa.
Has very stong butchering cuts. Bone dated to 9400 BP.

Just in jest I have occasionally used the extinct Sloth in context with the paleo [ or earlier ! ]peoples.

Gotta stop doing that now, it's no joke !