Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Surface Finds

These are some of my S.Tex. surface finds. Some have been previously posted but I have new frames so I've rearranged and added more to them. Including a Perdiz that I was told by Perino that had a token notch in it.

Re: Surface Finds

awsome points , id say wowsome , what a thrill it is to find points in that shape ,

That is an interesting token perdiz point. Finding such an artifact is in fact a special and rare occurrence.

The two black striated points in the bottom frame are made out of what I call Mexico flint. A lot of the points I found in Gomez Palacio over to Santa Rosa were of this material. Found these in Frio and LaSalle co. The token notched Perdiz and three of the scallorns were found on top of a hill comprised totally of fossilized oyster shell within 10 feet of each other. Oh, except for one point on the top frame, I found it around 13 to 15 miles north of the town of Padre Island on S. Padre.. Right past the nudist section.

Yep, Redman. It's probably my crowning glory. Everything else I have found here is pretty mundane. I've seen other suface find collections from other locals around here, and mine looks kinda like a kids fingerpainting on the refrigerator compared to a Mona Lisa.
I need to get more new frames and get the rest off of these home made ones. Most of my points are triangular and rounded bases knives.

Nice assortment of arrow-points Teh, sure like that little carizzo! It was good to meet you and visit with you at the Fredricksberg show.
Your Devils horn, and funky little scorpions give your displays that brush country feel!

Thanks Mike, really enjoyed meeting you there. My neighbor makes the scorps, does some really small ones out of telephone wire. Used to have some cockleburrs, but methinks the wife disposed of them.

Any idea what the center point in the middle frame is?

The big on directly below the carrizzo, I'm pretty sure is a southwest style LANGE with a slightly expanding base. I have many of them like that from our cave.
Cocckle-burs, and Goathead stickers get kicked out of our place on a daily basis!

Hey Teh nice pointy rocks

Thanks, most of my points I know what they are, that's the only Lange I've found. Cockles and goats don't bother me, but I've been bouncing round in the brush and looked down to see one of those devils horns hanging on my pants leg, and that nearly scared the weedillies outta me. Cleared three cactus clumps trying to shake it off..

Thanks Leonard, one day soon we'll get up there into the digging. All these are surface finds, easy to do when your dodging rattlebugs. Looking at the ground I mean. Big rattlers don't bother me, it's the little pesky 4-5 footers ya gotta watch out for.

I love em grilled with salt and pepper.

Had a crew thro here back in the early 80's that hung 'em on a fence to dry. Kinda like jerky. Once the price got up to $12.00 a pound they got kinda scarce. Price is down now so they're making a come-back. Don't know if that's good are bad.

Nothing quite like a nice Buzzworm filet....tastes alot like chicken actually!

Never thought of it that way, I always compared them more like fried coyote steaks. Hmm, they do kinda taste like chicken

You eat coyote?

Hey Mike, on that weird looking (scrapper?) below the angustora drill on the bottom frame, Perino said it was a worn out Bell point. It's not broken on the top, actually been worked into what I call a blunt. I just wonder with what's left of it, how he could figure it was a Bell. I've only found 1 Bell point and it's broken (impact fracture). The base looks the same, but it could be any number of point bases. I've seen so called blunts or stunner points in Colorado and Wyoming, but don't really know if that's what they were used for. Or just worn out points used as scrappers of some sort.

Leonard, gotta remember, this is S.Tex. If you can catch it you can eat it. Oughta try the rattlesnake roundup in Freer. Got all kinda goodies, possum, dillo, skunk. Didn't think I'd ever eat 'em. But a long hot day in the sun, plenty cold beer, you kinda lose your inhibitions. Specially if your hungry.

Well, between you, me, and the fencepost, I personally was never very impressed with Perino's calls. Years ago when he was still around, I sold a G-10 7&1/2" long Friday Knife that I dug in the early 80's. The guy who bought it brought it back and wanted his $ back after he had sent it to Perino(who said it was a fake). So, I gave the $ back, and then got Dwain to assess it, who said it is as real as the day is long, and later re-sold it again for even more $! Now I never dis-liked Perino, and did respect all the efforts he had put forth to become a reputable autenticator, but in my opinion he just was not that good. Since then, I have heard many similar comments.
Now a days, Dwain Rogers is definitely at the Top. The straight up notching pattern on Bell points is leaves a precise and consistant flaking pattern. As I cannot tell from the photo if that pattern is present on the sides of the base, I cannot say that it's Not a bell.Problem is, Andice and some long eared Marshalls have the same pattern(some Marshalls have a very square base also). And further, points with an obtuse distal end(tip), are kind of a gray zone when called stunners. Some are nothing more than an aborted attempt at re-sharpening, or as you have suggested re-used as scraping tools. Thats about as far out on a limb as I can go on this one, so if it is important to you, there is always Dwain's input.

Appreciate the input. Guess that's why people get 2nd and 3rd opinions from doctors. Like I said earlier, most of my finds are run of the mill basic points. I have a few questionable points, most of them are probably reworks. He labeled that Perdiz a token notch, which I'd never heard of before. It is definitly notched from both sides. The stunner, I looked at it under a misrosope and it is worked also on both sides. I was just going to throw it in the bucket with the rest of my broke ones till I saw it was made that way.
I've got two square artifacts, 1 is 3/4, the other about 1" square. I'll post them latter to see if anybody has an idea what they are. They are flint, but not worn out points.

Lots of beautiful finds [ and gormet food tips ]. Due to size and probably camera distance, are most of those points really sun "bleached" white or do some have some varied colors ? Also, what is so significant about the Perdiz with the notch ? Isnt it just a reknap of an area that broke wrong ?

There's more stories re authentification rejections. I'm still thinking that it should become standard practice that if a piece is sent off. . . some piece of paper should come back, either the beautifull grade A prime . or . reject slip,for _ _ _ _ _ _ _ [ the exact reason ]

Sorry,I am not the best photomaker, no they aren't sun bleached, just camera flash. I tried to darken it with pic. manager and got it darker then the original. Still too light. I don't think the Perdiz is reworked becasue of it's size. It's probably 1 1/2" long, and good material (no inclusions). It's too asymetrical to be a rework, and to me the notch would have weakened the barb. I think I got Leonard stirred up on the coyote diet, but Indians raised dogs, and ate them when times got tough. Nastiest thing I ever tried was mullet, tasted like a mouthful of old pennies.

That's a heck of a great collection!
Which point is the notched Perdiz?
A hint on photo's of points is to take them in sunlight, so that you don't need to use the flash. You might have to adjust for shadows but when taken around high noon, there shouldn't be much of a problem.

Thanks Silver, try that next time. The Perdiz is top frame, far left point.

The center bottom left multicolored and the one to the right and above (bluish tint with white edges were found within 10' of the Perdiz. The multicolored one looks to be agatized petrified wood. There is a lot of petrified wood in the area, but most of the wood is of poor quality. I have found in the area 4 or five points out of pet. wood.

What is the signifigance of the notch? I have never heard of that before

Don't know, Perino told me that's what is was.
So I figured whoever made it, mabbe wanted it id'ed.. Go hunting, everbody's shooting at a deer, and he wanted to prove it was his point that brought the deer down. "Me big buck, me bring down deer." Status symbol mabbe? Kinda like a signature. Why put a notch just on one side? Unless he was left handed.
Planning on going to the arrowhead show in Lulling, don't know if I can make it to Boerne, but either way, if Mike's there I'll let him put his eyeballs on it and see what he thinks it is.

Yes Teh, I would like to look it over, as I have been studying serrated points for some time now. From the photo, this Perdiz is definitly serrated, and most are, but some are not. I've noted that serrations on some points are consistantly of the same size, while on others the serrations increase in size from the distal(tip)towards the barb. There seems to be little difference in impact of 2 points the same size( one serrated and the other not ), so the purpose of the serrated edge is a greater ability to be more firmly embedded into whatever is shot. Thus, it would appear that the point makers that really knew what they were doing with them, were the ones who increased the size of the serrations from tip to barb. Thus, the question becomes....is this Notch truely a notch(like on Charco and some Shumlas? Yes, it's obvious the notch is intentional, but doubtfully has anything to do with the serrations, or purpose thereof. So, I would be inclined to go along with Perino's Token notch aspect in that for whatever the makers reason, it was most likely his own identifying signature, rather than some dominant characteristic of a variant style. Should this be the case, odds are greater than not that the maker did this to more than a single point. If you recall where you found it, you might want to go back there and spend more time looking for another like it.

i dont want to hijack the post but here is a small serrated bird point It has been on before last summer when I found it just thought It needed to come out public again
Photobucket
Photobucket

On your land Leonard?

yep

Mike, I looked it over again, and the side with the notch is more deeply serrated then the other side. I'll bring it with me when we come to the next artifact show. That way I'll have an even better understanding on if it is a true token notch or not.
Thanks
Tehuacana

WOW Leonard, Good Timing man! Thats about the nicest Huffaker I've seen in a looooooooooooong time!

I like the serrations Leonard, what is it, a Toyah? And Mike, I found four points right there together. The other three were scallorns, two are in the top frame, the multicolored (pet. wood) and the one above to the right. The forth is on another frame I haven't posted yet. None of them were notched. That hill is fossilized oyster shell an covered in thick sage brush. It was the only hill on a 20,000 acre ranch with sage brush and shell. Everything else was flint and mesquite.

Yes Teh, I will look forward to seeing it. I think it is a uniquely autographed point that adds to it's value rather than detracts.

If I saw that point last year L, I had forgotten how beautiful it is. . . No wonder your tearin up the mano midden looking for more, thats great. As I scrolled down your post [ L's ] I came up to the first pic, , , , and I immediatly thought; ; ;" That crafty Lenny's up to no good " People, check out the pic layout again.......THAT POINT IS THREE INCHES LONG !

Te, too bad that that is not a brand new class of point, I would have looked forward to looking for a new TX point for the collection, the " TEHUDIZ "

Any favorite recipies for Brown Recluse Spiders ?

Well SH, it would be neat to have something named after you, but Perino didn't seem to think it was something totaly new. I just thought it was above and beyond the rest of my collection. Everything else I have is common to other collections around here. Spiders are best cooked over open flame till crispy. Dipped in wasabi sause for extra kick. I've seen in Japan the latest delicacy is live octopus dipped in soy sauce. watched a guy on Travel Channel eating one, don't think I'd try that, mullet was bad enough. Or hardhead, tasted like fish slime jello.