Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
What state has the nicest arrowhead quality?

I'm kind of partial to texas points, but doesn't texas have some of the nicest quality points, compared to other states,from birds to spears?

Re: What state has the nicest arrowhead quality?

I agree. Non-point artifacts like banner stones and gorgets seem to be of better quality in Mid Western and eastern states. And the knapping material from what I've seen seems to vary more. But the variety and workmanship seems to me to be better here. Best points I've ever seen were in Mexico, Central America, but they used a lot more obsidian there.

Kentucky,Tennesse,Indiana,Ohio,Washington,Oregon and western Canada Just my thoughts not in any specific order. Oh does Missouri and Arkansa count as states

Yes, I am partial to Texas Points as well, however, the single most awesome point and workmanship quality that I ever had the pleasure of holding in my hand came from Yuma County, Colorado. For a time, it was called the Yuma Point, and later changed to the Anderson Point. Once you hold one of these Jewels in your hand, you never forget it. Magnificent parallel oblique flaking of superb workmanship and symetry, 10" long, Rare Paleo, valued then at $20K, and now $60K.

I'm predjudiced towards Texas in the OVERALL catagory, which means the bulk of the " working class, blue feather " points seem nicely knapped, VS
many pic collections I have seen from out of State that seem " lumpy "

BUT. . . . for the " most beautiful " point in North America. I would have to throw a dart at a board with all the pages of the color plates from the front and back of the Overstreet's book [ any edition ]

The Texas Alibates are certainly not in first place.

RGS,
I've found some great Texas stuff so far in a little over a year of looking here. Artifacts are easier to find here than where I come from. The points are bigger and more spectacular but to say other regions don't produce very high quality artifacts would be wrong.
Photobucket

Killer set of Texas Points! (those are all TX points aren't they?)

No, none are from Texas. That was the point. No pun intended. They are from Nevada.
Blackrock Concave Base
Borax Lake
Elko

Sacre Bleu what a show Mo. Your collection is as good as those premier Overstreet color plates.
Thanks a lot for a great showing.

RG might not have enough samples yet to make a final " quality " winner yet. Workmanship, not just regional materials has a bearing. Tx still has a chance to be in the playoffs.

Anybody got a frame of Columbia river gem stone points ?

SH,
I talked quite a bit with Bob Overstreet last year. A bunch of my points will be in his 11th eddition. He told me a couple weeks ago it will hopefully out in the Fall of 2009.

I can believe it ! A special place for special color !

what kind of camera are you using?

All those pix were from a Nikon Coolpix 660. I took them about 10 years ago. I have a new Coolpix L18 that is supposed to be a lot better. I can't for the life of me get the macro to work nearly as well as that "old" $900 4 megapixel camera.

BTW, the collage is not one photo. It is a mosaic of individual pictures. The shadows and lighting is in different directions on the individual points. Also if you look closely you can see plenty of my editing mistakes. It was just a quick image I made for my desktop. One of these days I'll go back and make more Overstreet-ish plate pictures. All those color pics in Overstreet's are very exagerated in photoshop with amplified color and contrast. I got pretty good at doing the same thing. I can make any quality point picture with a little color look incredible.

awwww geeeeesh . i dont know what kind of points are what , all i know is i find em and love em , trying to take pics with my digital , they come out great sometimes , now your talking photography classes lol , this redneck is so lost lol , either way your pics are great !!!!!!!!!!!!!

That Candy-striper i( i spelled striper right didn't I? I get striper mixed up with another word sometimes) point is exceptional.