Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
cant find any middens

I just moved to Leander.I have found lots of flint in my back pasture,even a point today.But i cant seen to find any middens due to the cluster **** of cedars everywhere!Any suggestions on the best place to dig?Or how to find a midden?Thier are no close creeks or water.

Re: cant find any middens

look for the high grounds or along dryed up spring beds

its relatively flat.the flint im finding seems to be on a little higher ground than the surrounding areas.

Ronnie

In the Leander area you are not going to find many middens that at the time of occupation were not close to some type of water source---spring, creek, waterhole, etc.

An occassional midden does occur in areas without nearby water, but these usually don't contain much flint or bone material.

so where do you think all the flint is coming from.a small camp maybe?

Ronnie,

In Williamson County and much of the surrounding area, flint erodes out of most hilltops and hillsides. Question is, is the flint you are finding human modified or just naturally occuring chunks and hunks?

Thanks for the comment jh.The flint im finding is mostly small chunks.But i have also found a good amount of worked and broken points.All the stuff im finding is in just one area.

I might try some test holes today.

I have located a very large midden near you( east of Liberty hill) Many great points have come from there. when you want some help, let me know

Are they on the North or South San Gagriel river?Their are so many camps on that river.Gimmie a call some time,im always looking for new people to dig with.512-809-3951