Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
great point

photos of a beautiful point that my stepdad found last fall in NETX. what is it? what would it have been used for?

Re: great point

WOWZERS!!!!!

Now THAT is a beauty!!! What do you call it?

I would hate to one on the other end of that arrow!!

Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michelle

M: i don't know what it's called. That's why I posted the pic! You guys are the experts compared to what I know. I'm just a rookie trying to learn.

I dont know much about bird points but i would say Edwards, definally used for killing. If it is an Edwards, a large example for sure, i have one that is 1/4 that size.

Another guesstimate for point type is a SCALLORN. The basic design fits the book pics but those delicate serations are more pronounced than the typical Scallorn. Maybe it's a " cross over " Edwards which does feature the pronounced projections.

Scallorn time span shows it being used right up until the Spaniards first visited Texas ! Bow and arrows would have been at a near peak of development, requireing lighter weight points than the hand launched atala missles.
Target game probably ranged from the State bird of TX [ Mockingbird ] up to the Easter bunny [ Endangered species were probably the most delishious ]

Thats a gorgeous find

The ears aren't as thick as Catahoula's but the outline is very similar.

That s a sweet looking point.

I'm kinda leaning toward the SCALLORN based on where it was found. I believe it was in Red River Co, or possibly eastern Lamar Co. Either way, it was in the Red River valley. This point is amazing. It's by far the finest one I've ever actually held in my hand. It's the best point my stepdad has ever found in (I'm guessing here)probably 40 years of surface hunting. The crazy thing is, not only is this point razor-thin, but it's still intact aftr all those years. It still has this tiny, delicate tip on it. The craftsmanship is unreal

Very nice, awesome serrations and very thin.