Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
surface finds

found these out walking a gravel bar yesterday.
Photobucket

Re: surface finds

That one piece really does look like a bead to me !

I like picking up the ones with the holes in it JUST incase they are beads.. But that little one there really looks like the real deal!

Congrats!

Michelle

i was on the lampasas river in bell co near my house. I like the "holy" ones to and the one really did look like a bead to me as well.the others were just rocks with holes.

Nate, I would drop that kayak in the water and stop at every sand and gravle bar to search it. I did that with a canoe and picked up 2 darl and 1 coryell point on the gravle bar a couple of months ago, not to mention I found my one and only C-Tang on a gravle bar while I was surface hunting.

Nice going eric, certainly good creek / river finds for anybody . . . . EXCEPT a veteran C-Tang creek finder !

What are you calling the item just to the right of the big blade.? I have some ideas but I'd like to hear what made you save it. That Lampasas drainage sure cuts through some good indian territory.

Nate, you got me to thinking. . . digFESTS are starting to occur with the drop of a suggestion.

Well I have posted in the past about my fossil club doing Kayak / canoe expeditions on the Brazos.

How about a "diggers" FLOATFEST along about July August ? OR even a Two day event,,,,,,

Meetup for a one day pay dig shot, then camp out, THEN next day a floatfest safari to see whats in the
water [ Downstream from CAMP LIVE OAK and FRL !] ??

Another plus for something like this, We have a growing list of Chefs that could be left on land to
slave over Texas style BBQ meals.

For non boat owners reading this. . . there are places that rent floating transportation.

FLINT ~ FOSSILS ~ FLOAT ~ FOOD ~ FUN [ ? ]

SH, I am callind the thing to the right of the big blade teeth. They look like teeth that are just about fossilized. I tend to keep teeth and stuff like that because my daughter likes to see them, especially when she is at school and can't get to hunt with me.
The floatfest sounds like a heck of an idea to me.

eric, A tooth was option one. Even though beatup in a waterway, a close inspection of the ends usually reveals
a "folding" pattern of the dental structue.
Option two, a PIECE of a large fossil structure called a rootus. [ Not sure if thats spelled right but it sounds rootus-y ] If you can find the right fossil link, rootus comes in many shapes and are
the first "reef builders " before they invented
coral !

N, Re sand bars, gravel bars, mud bars . for flint N fossils.
Mud obviously useless.
Gravel / cobble, certainly like a hobby rock tumbler machine. BUT there is always a good chance that a find only washed into the running water a little ways upstream.....OR If the cobbles are big enough, a good point might last a long time in rough high water floods if it gets stuck down between some large
rocks.

IF your lucky enough to get just the right creek, with just the right sand, with just the right flow force after a rain, Your chances of finding F & F are
EXCELLENT. Years ago in the Austin area we had such a creek and as we got to know it, a few gravel bars actually classified out the various weights of stone, gravel, sand and silt. Eagle eye Mlle once found about 5- 3/16 of an inch shark / ray teeth in one level.

Now the best for last Nate, , , , ,My last highly successful [ fossils ] Canoe / kayak expedition, we parked right under the NW corner of I-10 and the brazos. Moderatly steep launch banks. Go UPSTREAM.

Really GREAT sand bars [ mostly shoreline, not island type ] ALL of our fleet of about 10 vessels found some really neat fossil bones, From Sloth & Mammoth to Deer teeth from a Deer Travis shot last year up
around Mineral Wells TX.
There is a web site that gives the Brazos water levels at various junctions, get the know what level is best for your favorite area.

A floatfest this summer will force me to finalise the
"glass" bottom canuyak I have been working on [ Bullet proof, polycarbonate plastic actually ]

I'm in

thanks SH. I'll check it out more closely and see. I will also find out some more info about the rootus if I can. It sounds interesting.

Eric, go to fossilforum.com, they have plenty of pics and info for you...I just found the site and it had pics that made me drop my jaw and I've been doing this for a lot of years...

Thanks for the info larry