Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Texas Knives

These are just a small percentage of my knives. The greater percentage of my collection are either this type or the rounded base knives. It seems from other collecters below S.A. that the unstemmed points are more prevalent over stemmed points. Approx. 80% of my suface finds (excluding bird points) are of this variety.

As previously posted, I just wonder if the ratio is the same north of S.A.
This ratio is common from other surface hunters I know from Laredo to Eagle Pass to Tilden,north to S.A., and I10 west, encompassing numerous counties of S.Tex. brush, and over 3 dozen collecters that I'm familiar with. From postings above S.A. the pedernales and montell are found more frequently then knives. Curious. Are my observations incorrect?

Re: Texas Knives

nice points T. thanks for sharing

nice frame for a bunch of unstemmed points....... looks like alot of mine. Wonder why!!

The closer one gets to the Mexican border the more triangular points one will find.
Kinney, Matamoros, Tortugas, and Abasolo are to a large degree more common south of SA. Early Triangular points do extend on up into Central Texas. Many point types including Castrolville and Andice were made from triangular preforms. Hester and Roemer include point distribution maps in A Field Guide To Stone Artifacts of Texas Indians.
That is a nice collection, thank you for sharing.

Hey Melvin, your one of the 3 dozen Thanks Redman, I have Hesters books, just curious why they are distributed that way. Melvins brother in law found a Folsom, I have a few angustora points, and several other types of broken paleo points, so I know that AmerIndians were here at the same time as other parts of Texas. These knives seem to be more utilitarian in nature then the stemmed varieties. Questions is why? Did we in south Texas end up with the hillbilly Indians? This country was stirrup high to a horse in prairie grass at the turn of the century. Cattle brought in and spread the mesquite.
So it wasn't for lack of big game grazing. Or water.
I have found quite a few points hunting in Mexico, and the border points are in general, even more crude. I have seen some good ones, but on average the flaking and material is not as good. Which is odd, condsidering the Aztec, Mayan, and Toltec points were extremely fine. And the aztecs extended all the way up into New Mexico.
Dang, Melvin, we got stuck with hillbillies.