Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Help-Spring fed lake in Camp County

I have permission to search about a 150 acres that surrounds a spring fed lake. The caddo history is enormous in this area and the owner advises the land has been in his family for generations and no one has been allowed to hunt before. The only problem is there are numerous mounds and such but it is hard for me to tell what would be a camp site and what may have been a burn pile or farm work from decades or more ago. What should I look for or to lead me? Were there certain sides the camps would face? Any info would be great. All the old timers in the area assure me that if there was a natural spring then there was going to be camp sites. Thanks, Jon

Re: Help-Spring fed lake in Camp County

jon it just happens that a man named winston ellison just called me and spent the last hour on the phone with me , and before that dwain rogers called and we were all talking about hunting areas in west texas , they both informed me that any place where there was or had been a spring was a fabulous area to hunt , even if no spring is there now but large trees are in the area that there was most likely a spring there at one time and the camps would be in the area , im sure the people on the site here will tell you more what to look for , i myself only know to look for burnt rock and flakes where knapping was going on , although most of the points i have ever found were a little bit farther away from the burnt rock , just jump in there and walk and pay attention to the ground , im sure you will do great , good luck with the hunting and have fun .

Hi,

I live in tyler and have done some digging and hunting around here. hollar at me on my cell and I'll see if I can help you out. I have a place in athens that has some good springs and some points.my cell is 9035712446. have a good day!

jon, If your already in conference with Mike your in good hands.

Caddo mounds are a whole new thing than the "burned rock middens" west of your area, BUT I do know that
in addition to wonderfull pottery they also had some basic
copper items. My first easy / not digging exploration would be with a metal detector NON DISCRIMINATE mode.

There are THOUSANDS of different Caddo references on Google depending on what key words you search; ; ; ;
Caddo MOUNDS , Caddo pottery , Caddo copper , Caddo etc etc !

Do you want me to handle the metal detector ?

Another thing to contend with is that some of the mounds could be burial mounds. That can be a good & a not such a good thing as you can imagine why.

Please, Silver, let's not start that debate again....

Larry, the guy is a greehhorn & he asked for any advise available form those that know more than he does.
I'm not trying to start any kind of debate about anything except for the points thay I try to offer a "type" style for on this site.