Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Point Identification Assistance

Just wanted to get a few opinions on the point types reflected in the photos below...Appreciate any help ahead of time!

and the backsides....

and then there's this surface find in the hill country...

here with some light..tough to see but highly defined serrations(sp?) on both sides...

Anyway guys and Michelle, my two brothers and I have collectively found these over the past few months and wanted some validation on our initial identifications...would be happy to provide more contextual information to any of the individual finds...thanks!

Re: Point Identification Assistance

A family of diggers, good deal ! Completly solves the problem of having a reliable diggin Buddy.

Here's a try at your ID's, subject to the usual followup rebuttals !
* * * 1. Rough blade / lancolet
2. Morrill
3. Marshall
3. ? but nice
4. Perd
5. ? but very interesting, Geofactfan has a similar shaped base find, see what he calls it. . . See..
"FOGGY DIGGIN DAY = GOOD FINDS" Last posting date Jan 27

Last beauty...Scallorn but we just had a very recent sililar posting that corrected that more closely because the scallorns dont usually show
that much serations.

* * * = Your top pic of the "blade" is a bit shaddowed,
The next pic of it shows a very interesting better look at the base detail, you might want to post a
larger clear pic, it could be VERY old

What do you think Hal, could #3 be a Uvalde?

I meant # 4.

#4 could be a Gower if the base ears were a little longer, although it look's like they may've been broken off somewhat. Hard to tell w/o a closer photo.
The last one is prety unique with the fishtail base. I have a similar point but it's much more refined with tiny ears's on the base that Dwain Rogers had said was a un-named point "Brazos Fishtail" which is supposedly related to the San Patrice.

Hal et al:

Thank you very much for the quick replies! The serrations being so highly defined was what was throwing me off (as well as the shape/width of the fishtail base re: birdpoint, and thank you for the 2 cents on that one.

I will repost better pics of the "blade" after work today, which I have heard being referred to as an Angostura, but was hoping to have it confirmed/denied by experts on the site.

Also Hal, regarding #3, does it help at all if I tell you that there is a corkscrew end of the tip on that point? Very hard to show in a picture, but definitely three-dimentionally "twists" as it comes to a point...very peculiar looking in person. Thought it might help?

Thanks!

Hal,

Regarding the 3rd/4th point (the white one towards the middle in my hand), wanted to let you know that the shoulders appear to be unbroken and just plain missing tangs by design. To be clear, this is the same point I made the "twist-ing" tip comment about just a second ago. I will also post better pics of that one after work. Thanks!

Hellooo there Dirtbro's!

Thanks for posting those! That Marshall is a beauty!

Looks like you are on the area folks! Keep up the digging and the posting too!

PS: And I do believe that is a electric stove in the back ground.. JUST incase you were looking for that to be identified as well!

Welcome Aboard!

Michelle

Michelle:

Thanks a lot! All three of us have admittedly been big admirers of this site for a while, following the message board religiously for new digging opportunities & information, etc, but wanted to accumulate a few interesting points to riddle you guys with before I started posting...have a nice afternoon!

Digb, Now that Silver has waded in, Your ID stuff is getting serious ! For the white one guestimate, I'd
prefer an EDGEWOOD type over Uvalde.

BRAZOS FISH TAIL ! What a great name ! I was just kidding re asking Geo about his point since We both weren't sure what tag to put on it. Nonetheless
he has one with a similar base from Travis County.
Again see his picture at FOGGY DIGGIN DAY = GOOD FINDS
last date Jan 27, 09, , , , 4th pic down.

To see a better evaluation of your bird point. . .
check all the input on GREAT POINT by D&J last post Feb 12, 09. Including Silver's help.

O.K., for Silver and Hal, here are 2 more pics of the Angostura(?)

and the bird point...

the "fishtail"...

and while you guys are paying attention, what the heck is this thing? the flint seems to be "morphed" around this bone/wood material...edge seems roughly worked...thanks!

front view:

back view:

top view:

and finally, bottom view:

sorry for all the pics, but hopefully you can see the tougher ones a little better now...cheers!

DB, good pics.
Easy one first, the Morph is a classic chopper / bone crusher. The inclusion is just a natural formation.
All flint at one time was a soft pliable sea creature, Say in the case of a gigantic sponge, it would have just "keeled over " , covering anything on the sea floor, clams, shells, creatures, your inclusion.

That "old piece" still looks good close up, nice form.
I dont want to guess at a name, the flaking doesn't seem right for the design of the better known Early Archaics I was considering.

thanks again Hal, will post our next mystery when it presents itself...

Broght this post from the past back for an ID try for Flintpig... Be sure to read the input by Silver.