Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
A little help please

I have been digging an new found overhang for a few months now (about once a week)and can't find any bigger points. The top 12" is loaded with nice bird's and one good ensor, just one total! The next 3' is showing all the signs, lots of shells, flint, fire rock and bone, but no points.
Sould I keep going in, deeper, or just dig the top and find a diff. cave.

Re: A little help please

If its a leagle place to dig then I would go all the way down till you hit some kind of bottom and try not to waste any good diggin you shure dont want to dig over a good one

Yes it's leagle! Thanx for the reply. Just getting a ltl discouraged! Dug a simular spot a ltl way down the creek and found alot of points from top to down over 6' but no gap like this. It has a good ash pile down to current level and nothing around it. Maybe they were just stingy and didn't leave anything for us! Haha!

You would be foolish not to dig any rock shelter or cave completly to the floor........Ive been fortunate to dig in several rock shelters north of dryden tx on big canyon and have found something simular to what your describing a foot from the bottom produced an amazing point .....Ive never seen nothing like it.....We were 5 ft down and still had 1 ft to go we dug a pot hole and found a nice worked tip......We havent been back in a couple years so we dont know if there is paleo there yet......Paleo indians werent stupid and they would have definately used the shelter at one time or another you just have to clean out the whole shelter to see if they have left anything behind....... Good luck......Shelter digging is the best

You will have sleepless nights for the rest of your life if you dont find bottom !
My first impression when I read your post was that it was an overhang shelter created only by heavy water action. IF there were people gathered there 3K years ago, any remains might have been blown out 2K yrs ago.
Maybe the whole gang moved to that other shelter you dug. At both locations, have you tried any serious test holes at various levels well below the shelters [ right where you threw the dirt ! ]

I didn't throw the dirt in front of the hole, this time! Looked like a semi dupped a load in front of the other! Leason learned. Tryn to keep it clean in front and get the dirt to the creek. I'm not givn up yet! Haven't dug in front, lots of big pieces of the over hage have fallen off and are deep in the ground. Wuz just tring to see whats in it first. Thanks for the encouragement! At least I still got my birds up top and not going to complain cause i'v found some bad*** ones there!

hey ace i always go all the way to the bottom perferably bed rock you never know when your digging right over the top of something spectacular. i was digging in a mound one time going down into a fractured limestone layer about 6 inches thinking that it probally held nothing and found a 6- 5/8" covington blade there is peace of mind in knowing you left nothing behind

Will do! Took my girls Sunday for a quick "Scratch" in the cave and found a few broke pieces that had a ltl more size to them! Think they both Coryell's bout 90% complete. The kids brought home a cpl pockets,and shoes, full of throw dirt. Gona hit it hard 2mro with the guys and maybe have a picture for yall! If I can fig out how to post one. Any one know when the Jonesboro show is this year?

Bud Light! Next Wednesday! Din't find crap 2day but a few broke pieces and the bottom of the cave bout 4' deep. Maybe we can figure out where they put the good ones!

What are youse guys going drink for refreshment the remainded of a long hot diggig day ?
ONLY two cases of beer should just be enough to get to the site and set your tools down !

A picture I found of some of the points that came out of the hole down the creek!

OOPs! post instead of preview. still working on it

Photobucket

Don't worry SH! I'll bring a cpl cases 2!