Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Gorget

Several of you were there when I found this yesterday and I promised to post pics, so here you go!
Photobucket
Photobucket

Re: Gorget

wow that is so neat!!!!

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it limestone???

WOW!!!! Whata a great piece of history!!!! I think that the gorgets and beads are ALOT more personal than the points!!!

Great Find!!!!!

Michelle

I haven't cleaned it up. I'm actually reluctant to. I may leave it pristine. When I get a chance I'll try to get some more hi-res pics. I'm fairly certain it is shell. I have counted around 15 tiny hole drilled into it so far. They are filled with dirt so they are hard to see.

I was glad I got to see that super find.Man you should seen everyone after you left we were all elbow to elbow were you left off.

Beautiful Conch shell gorget! I am envious~~~~

Steven,
Did anybody else find anything in that area? I would have stayed longer if I didn't have to drive back to Ft. Worth. My partner and I spent most of two days in that area and didn't find anything but a few worked down Nolans and Lajitas.
Hal,
It is a gorget, not a pendant. I've never found one but I've read a lot about them in the last 24 hours. Gorgets were worn around the neck. Kind of symbolic armor to protect the throat. The word comes from Latin or French or something that translates from the word "throat." Lots of people call anything with a drilled hole a gorget but most pieces are pendants.
Here is a pic someone posted recently that shows how it is worn:
Photobucket

Looks like he has "Mr Bill" on his tummy. I wonder if SNL paid the royalties to that Indians family ?

sweet find.

All I found was a few wingless pooters.I think someone found a nice blade that was broke up I don't if it was all their or not.

Wow! What an awesome find.

I cleaned it up last night. Up close it does appear to have a pattern or grain to it like you'd expect with a shell. Also, many of the tiny holes in it appear to be natural rather than drilled which is a bummer. I took a ton of photos and put them in a slide show:
http://s462.photobucket.com/albums/qq345/mojave_pix/gorget/?albumview=slideshow

Probably valued at least $2K, correct?

I was curious about the value. I'm not selling it, I'm just curious. It is probably the coolest thing I've found so far in Texas. I found three diferent ones for sale on the internet. They were $1800, $3900, and $6500. The $6500 one had an engraving of some sort on it. That was really why I cleaned mine up. Unfortunately, there are no drawings or designs.

Good show again. Your price research answers Mlle's question of roughly " how much are these things worth ?" Even sight unseen of your examples, sounds expensive.

MY first reaction was . . . OH NO. . . !
When the THOUSANDS of almighty dollars are involved, "professional" flint counterfeiters will jump for their Dremel tools.
We can see your dug find Mo, but no goodnicks will be finding anything flat, put a few holes [ not clean drilled !] in it and there's a nice thousand bucks for a days work. . . and the market in general is degraded.

Good job on a light water rinse of the gorget, wish every gorget finder would do that !

There's no way I'm gonna sell it. I've already started designing a display case for it. I am planning on going to the Waxahachie show Saturday. I've never bought a COA before but if
Rogers is there I might do it.

I believe Mike Walker is correct in his call that the gorget is made from a conch shell, probably a large lightning welk common to the Texas bay system. A gorget made from a large lightning welk is the centerpiece of this collection and it exhibits the same characteristic concave and convex surfaces as Mojave's fine find. The welk gorget in the photo was found in a Chambers County Karankawa site in 1954.

Gorgots, Beads & Pendants

Redman,
That is one extremely fine gorget collections I've ever seen. Kudo's!

Thank you Sir.

I found a broken gorget last week on the river. it has a face scratched into the stone which is pretty cool.

Is that from uncle crisners place

NO MATTE WHERE IT'S FROM LET'S SEE SOME PIC'S OF IT!

I found this one around Corpus Christi. Made from the sun ray shell.
Photobucket

Most Exellent Finds Folks,............as I wipe the Drool off of my keyboard!!!

There is a place for you corpus folk to check after good pounding surf......About 100 yds ( maybe more havent been in years)down from bob hall pier to the right...Youll see the gravel and flint...I think there is also some old steel hull of a boat submerged there too....

Rick, those are very nice shell gorgets. I have been unable to reference any species of mollusk known as a sun ray shell. Any further input you might be able to provide would be appreciated.