Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
shelter diggin west texas

a fluted early triangular and serrated a fluted ,serrated, early triangular w/needle tip...Anyone seen one like this before??? weird point We found this pice we call the centipede the tip is broke off about an 1in ... Ive never seen this type of work either must be ceremonial two days digging Here is what we found for 2 days in the shelter ....There was some other crude stuff not included was perfect until i chipped the side with a shovel Here is a closer shot of the black beauty , I couldint find this in any of the books... I also chipped the side w/ my shovel it was perfect it made me sick to do it siftin Heres the old man sifting out in front of the shelter shovelin dirt to sift Heres my dad doing some of the hard stuff Photobucket We are about 5 ft down at this point Ps I promis im not making him do all the work Photobucket Here i am way at the back cave diggin thats me shoveling away... my dad is on top of a massive rock thats blocking almost the whole front of the shelter messing wit<a href= enjoy will post more trips latter

Re: shelter diggin west texas

AA, YOU WIN, the report of the day, [ or at least the morning ! ] Thats a great report, excellent pictures and a very special site.
Your West TX, I wouldn't venture ANY point typing myself, , , , , ESPecially something called a Centipede !

The digging pics seem to indicate a LOT MORE area to dig,[ unless the pics are months old ], maybe an Arachnid point next.. . .!

I cant make out the lay of the "big rock" you mention blocking. IF thats an outer chunk of the original overhang lip. . . . its gotta go [ eventually ]. The very best Paleo finds at the Christners pay dig site was made by a special team that worked for MONTHs to drill holes in a similar rock drop and jack it asside to discover the ancient artifacts.

Thanks again for the show and more congratulations !

Black point a Bandy or maybe small Martindale? Do you have the Overstreet 10th edition? Pg 528

great report. looks like you have a good place to dig.

The black point could be a Conejo, which is a SW TX version of a Marshall but smaller.

TROY I have the 1999 field guide series to stone artifacts....now that I look at the bandy I think it may fit into the time period a little more...because the langtry came about a foot to foot and half above the bandy ...In my book it says lang's are middle archaic....Photobucket and the bandy is early archaic and the typolgy fits the distribution area...I guess the early triangular fits in with the dating too.. The site is in an area we call panther canyon that spills into the Big Canyon....Big Canyon is right next to the pecos canyon .....The site is located in central terrell county.....Thanks for the tip

You guys aren't that far from me. I have some land in south terrell county close to Sanderson, and I have a few shelter's also with artifacts.

No prob. Just take me next time! I'm joking! Just make sure to send us more pictures. Allways cool to see new stuff!

nice points check out what i call a bandy under my post (my andice and others)

Nice artifacts & great photos of the dig, thanks for sharing....John in KS

AAron, Just to add to your fine story, here's a pic of that "other " drainage you mentioned. The Pecos, your new fans can see the type of Terrain in that general area. Its from a recon trip I took last summer. 130* temp. Wind like a hair dryer, snake heaven. Seems every plant has its own thorn and barb
configuration, right down to the seeds !

Photobucket

Of course I wasnt too bothered with local conditions as I was in the Amtrak air conditioned observation car at the RR bridge.
They bring the train to a full stop for exploring diggers to see the " grand canyon of TX"

Photobucket

DJ. . . . . Aaron's site is only about 30 miles from your place ! All those different varieties of family points people must have wandered over your way SOMETIME is the last 5000 yrs.

Aaron, DJ's shelter site has got a huge fire rock midden right in front [ as close as the lie of the land allows ]. How about your site, any evidence of fire rock ?

Yeah lots of rock in and in front and spilling out of the shelter......Something that I have found about the indians here is that they had strictly cook mounds aside from the rock right in and in front of the shelters....They are a little different then ones found in central and south central texas.....If you see a mound on the canyon floor then start looking for a cave or rock shelter ...Ive seen a dozen or so on this ranch that are associated with cave/shelter dwelling....I dug into one of the mounds and my dad said your waisting you time son they just used those for cookin......I wouldnt listen so I spent over an hour trying to get to the bottom of a pretty impressive midden it was nice and clean and no dirt on it ...It was 3 ft high by 8ft ...a perfect square....Just lots of ash lower down and NO FLINT..Most in the area were plant and grass free ...Clean compared to all the other mounds Ive dug in they usually have lots of flint and arrowheads ash and dirt especially on the bottom of the mound which we call the heart of the mound .... I will send pictures of a cross section of a solid rock midden mound on the frio that is over 5 foot deep and full of arrowheads in 3 weeks when I take my lil vacation....Photobucket here are some pic of some huge shelts that you cant make out but is typical landscape for those who are not familar with the terrain Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket those are a few pics of the ranch and terrain

Great pics again Aa, Just getting back & forth from your favorite sites looks like an adventure, including cloudless, " its going to be another warm day " sky.

Glad I asked about the fire rock, Your explanation ties in exactly with two other desert fire rock middens that were dug with absolutly zip finds. As you
point out, the stark contrast is hard to believe for a CenTx digger. . . . . . . !