Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Massive burrial site near navasota tx full of fossilized remains

Hello folks....Im happy to share with those who rock hounds of the non flint type...I love and enjoy finding fossils as well as arrowheads...Here some amazing finds my father and I have made near navasota tx.....Photobucket ...This is a long shot of thousands of bone and teeth fragments, jaw bone pieces , skull,joints and just about every part of numerous creatures from rats,sharks,aligators,deer,bison,and many dozen other unidentifiable species of mammals....Im gonna keep em comming w/small captions to explain ... Photobucket ...A close up of larger Bones Leg Bones possibly ....Photobucket ...A big sliver of a brown buffalo or horse tooth ...Photobucket A closeup of another area to show texture ....Photobucket I think there are some joints pictured here along with what we call armor plating of some animal ....Photobucket Heres a lucky jawbone of a deer that was fortunate to survive the massive flood It was a young deer with very little wear on its teeth and still has a visible milk toothPhotobucket .....Heres hundreds of teeth fragments along with fossilized teeth roots various hollow bones too Photobucket ....More bone chips with teeth framentsPhotobucket ... Deer teeth and some kind of canivore teeth Photobucket ...Same teeth different shot Photobucket ......Hundreds more teeth in this container Photobucket ..... More teeth Photobucket .....These Teeth are probably some of the smallest in the world unless they have discovered teeth on bacteria Photobucket These teeth took many hundreds of hours between my father and I to sift out of concentrates ... Photobucket Sorry But they are so small that you could fit a hundred on a dime...The Shark teeth are the only things I can Identify on some of these smaller ones ....There are some that seem to be possibly cat teeth or possum....Idk.. Heres another shot to give you an idea how smalltons o tiny fossilized teeth another one to sink your teeth into lots of teeth ...... Its quite an amazing site because of the species are found in the same layers ...Marine fossils sharks and fish bones along with wetland creatures aligators , gar, and probably every type of mammal in the brazos valley region....Its one huge mass burrial site....There are two land owners in the area and they have told me that there has never been scientific studies in that area...Except for some A&M Students looking yearly at some rare plant that grow near there......Both owners didnt know what they had on their property until my father and I pointed it out to them.......To give you an idea how concentrated the bones and teeth are we estimate that out of one cup of material you find 12 or more bone fragments and atleast one to two teeth or several teeth pieces ...Its neck breaking work under a magnified glass and bright lights...We sift using screens that allow only fine dust to escape....We hope you folks enjoy Its bed time for me....God Bless

Re: Massive burrial site near navasota tx full of fossilized remains

Wow, ANOTHER special report, very interesting.

Are you still working this site on occasion ? Has any Paleos investigated farther ?

As you indicate, a flood must have cut through various age stratas and material became exposed. Must have been a
very violent, extreme event, everything except that mandible is pretty broken up.

You mention the intricate work to get the fossils, I was marveling at the time it took to organise that bottom pic with all the teeny weeny shark / ray teeth
lined up . . .Tks for the look

Very very interesting, especially since this is right down the road from me. I bet I can go back in the woods behind my house and find something under the surface. You just never know what's under there until you get to diggin!

Have y'all come across any points yet?

great story and pics. Thanks for sharing

I wonder what you're going to do with the hundreds of containers of all of these fossils? Do you plan to donate them to a college or some other higher institution for further study eventually?

I havents been there in about 2 years so there is no telling what is exposed.....My father and I Have been the only ones who ever really took an effort to dig and sift the area...He invited another gentleman from collegstation one time and he found a jawbone with teeth intact....A highway cuts through one area and part of it sits on a land owner and the other is a pit with several hundred yards of debris...There arent any artifacts here at the location......I have a few places in Grimes county that I have found and dug for some arrowheads....My father moved 1 1/2 years ago so I havent done much digging or anthing in that area....Half of these came from the front yard of my dads house off 3090 fram of arrows Another 5 or so came from college station while surface hunting for tektites ..I dont have any plans to donate the material for study....I would like to get a "Paleos" spin on what he think may have happend there but Ive got a theory of my own...There are a couple areas you can find bone by hunting the road that goes to anderson from navasota ....My beliefe by studing the road cuts from the navasota area is that the whole piedmont hill area is a GIGANTIC BONE YARD..... One big fossil...Well yall have a great day

Thanks for the info. I've got a question about Grimes County. My uncle has a place off 2620 down 146. What did you look for on the surface that made you start diggin in that area in Grimes County? In other words, what made you think their were arrowheads in that particular area? I've been wanting to check out my uncles place for awhile...I just have not been gung ho on it since I didn't know exactly where to start diggin. You've got some great points in there. Thanks for sharing.

I live in Bryan and have been looking for a local place to hunt. Any chance this "College Station" area would be accessible to me?

Chris J

It would be easier to show you the places rather than name them all..........I would be happy to either head down that way( gotta visit someone) and show you myself or give you a google map pinpoint location.... Several great surface areas are construction sites all the new housing development on the south end of college station Off 6 ...I would love to show you all my tektite hunting areas too ...If your interested....I bet about only 6 people in that whole county even know that there is black gold mines around there....Ive collected over 300 myself and my dad has found around 200...The two guys that let us in on biggest kept secret in bryan have several thousand....Photobucket ...Photobucket Photobucket ..... Some days I would rather hunt tektites rather that arrowheads....Especially when it rains thats the best time to go tekkin cuz they shine.....cant dig much in the dirt when its wet....I will answer a few of the questions ive been asked tomorrow evening ...Gotta get some sleep

Diggin fool you gotta an email???? We my answer in short is any High hill next to any creek....Somewhere where there is good drainage...I think at one point or another an indian camped on every high hill in east texas...The highest spot on your uncles place is a great place to start.....You may not find flint right away but if you find balls of clay or fired clay youve got a good start.....Generally the only stone or rock you find is that thin sandstone If you manage to see that anywhere ( which is rare in the big sandy)Gravel is a great indicator....And best of all is petrified wood ......That stuff is all over that country...They didnt have much to work with around there ....Its not a good Idea to dig close to a water source unless its way away from the water .....You know how that country can flood so the highest spot is the best place to start.......

Hey diggin fool .....You might not know this but Your at the begining of some of the best tektite hunting territory around......The strewn field of the tektite path begins around the town of bedias......Which is where they get their name from bediasite which is a derivative of the bedias indians which you probably already knew......I would give a leg and an arm for an arrow head made from a tektite....The early settlers in the area heard from the indians about the black stones......farmers around there used to plow them up ......Man if you do have any campsites on your property WOW!!!!!! The indians around there have bound to have found some big 100 gramers in the creeks and fields and made arrowheads out of them.......DUDE YOU BETTER GET REAL EXCITED!!!!!!You can name you price because there has never been an arrowhead found that out that material...The only artifact that in the us that Im aware of that has been worked by an indian came from georgia ...Which just happens to be the only other area in the us where tektites are found...They are green in color there.....Most of the tektites that come out of grimes are translucent....Some big 20 gramers I have are completely translucent even for a coal black stone....Quite simular to apache teardrop....Well now I really have to go to be if im gonna make it to crisners tomorrow.....

As is the norm for your posts Aa, your a wealth of interesting stories & information . . . !
Your Tecktite collection is more extensive than most dealers that I have seen selling them at the Tucson Gem & mineral shows.
Yeah, an "outer space" Teck point would certainly have magical hunting powers. Markesite nodules are very common finds in the Centex middens, many with some evidence of attempted shaping [ never successful obviously ]
Maybe you should look for your dream point by doing some heavy camp digging within the strewn field.

ONE of my dream points is something from Nevada made from Uranium ore. . . . GLOW IN THE DARK ! [ U/V natch ]

Tks for the show

Once again, great info! I never even heard of tektites till now. I do know one thing...when my uncles pond was dug before he got the place, a huge meteorite was dug up in the process. My uncle said this meteorite now sites in that small museaum in Bedias. He also has a creek that borders his property. I might have to get down in there and check it out real soon. He does have one high point on his property which I'll check out also.

I also have 80 acres in Madison County. It is loaded with petfrified wood. In fact, my wife found a 40 pd. hunk just last weekend. I have tons of the stuff that I have brought back to my house. My uncle found a nice point back in the early 80's next to the pond on this 80 acres. I have looked fairly hard but have not had any luck yet. I know they are there...just not sure where to look since we do not have any high points on this piece of property.

Here is my e-mail...

johnny.locketech@yahoo.com

And another thing...those perds in your frame above didn't come from Grimes County did they? I'm thinking hill country.

Yeah the two perds and frio (top middle left ) and one triangle crystal point to the right of the palmwood arrowhead.....Everything else is grimes and brazos co....Ive only found one big campsite that sits right on top of the strewn field and it has big arrowheads...that whole area is under constrution by now ...Housing development.....Thats usually where I find most of my tektites .....When they bulldoze and cut roads for subdivisions.....and the occasional arrowhead

Oh yeah I forgot the tortuga it came from fredricksburg

. . . It's so incredible. . . I CAN HARDLY BELIEVE IT. . . . .

It took me all this time to google , , " BEDIAS TEKTITES "

I havent got as deep into it yet as I am going to, but what headline topics !!!!!!!

BedTeks, OLDEST Teks ever discovered in North America.
FIRST Teks ever noted in North America.

All you ever wanted to know about Tektites ! [ except an arrowhead ! ]

I work in A&M's Paleobiology department on microfossils--currently on the Calvert Bluff member of the Wilcox Formation and soon on the Stone City member of the Crockett Formation for my second project. I'm working on aquatic vertebrates right now, but would love to take a look at the site you found those fossils at and possibly do some research on it. Terrestrial vertebrates are way under-studied in Texas.

Please email me and let me know--I can provide any credentials you need--this would be an undergraduate project--not a large scale deal.

Thanks,
Chase
code_silverphoenix@yahoo.com

" where to " on the Brazos came up again so I'm bringing this post back up to date. Re-apreciate those smallest crusher teeth as compared to the dime

Aaron, I live in Bryan and would definately be interested in hunting some tektite. Shoot me an e-mail. cjohnson172@hotmail.com

Chase
I work in A&M's Paleobiology department on microfossils--currently on the Calvert Bluff member of the Wilcox Formation and soon on the Stone City member of the Crockett Formation for my second project. I'm working on aquatic vertebrates right now, but would love to take a look at the site you found those fossils at and possibly do some research on it. Terrestrial vertebrates are way under-studied in Texas.

Please email me and let me know--I can provide any credentials you need--this would be an undergraduate project--not a large scale deal.

Thanks,
Chase
code_silverphoenix@yahoo.com

I can vouch for Chase - fossil hunted with him before. He also has found some pretty nice pieces. I too would LOVE to fossil hunt on the land if at all possible.

Just wanted to let everyone know...I contacted the landowner, and she will NOT allow anyone to hunt fossils there. Too bad. Oh well, there are other places. Anyone know anywhere along the river that is good? I have a boat, and can get you there!

lunkerbrad
i pick up a few tektite in manor yesterday we will keep them thought it was old volcanic rocks not throwing at trees . i also get a few neat looking ones off the beach in galvez and high island.

BEWARE of coastal "tecktites"....they could belong to BP or Exxon