Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
ARROWHEADS FROM ALASKA?

Photobucket
This is a picture of some arrowheads that a buddy of mine was given by his family. His uncle resently past away and they were in his safe deposit box. Have no info on where they where found just that he has been livn in southern Alaska for many years. Any one have any idea? They are about 2" long ,fairly thin and no flaking. Both seem to have impact fractured tips.

Re: ARROWHEADS FROM ALASKA?

Those two points are made of ground slate which explains the lack of flaking. Such points may have been used in conjunction with a harpoon toggle made of bone or ivory, used as a dart point with an atlatl or simply used as a knife. Time period is Thule Inuit, 500 AD .

Just got home and looked them up! I have to agree. Looks like they are from Alaska too. That was the cool thing! Prob never get a chance to go there but at least he has a piece of history from the area and a little bit of a story to go with them! Thanks for the reply REDMAN!

T-R, Those are really unique, but odd to see a point with no visible flaking lines. I went all through the Overstreet reference book [ Alaska, under Far West {FW} ] and did not spot one single example of and ground shaped points. If your Buddy is interested enough, He might contact the Authors of the book to get his "finds" listed.

They would have to be authenticated but he's part way there, fakes are not usually damaged PLUS the old Gent would not have put modern repos from the Anchorage airport gift shop in his safety deposit box.

IF going for book listing, He needs to move right now,
if the publishing deadline is still open, it must be close !

Lar Hothem's book, ANTLER, BONE & SHELL ARTIFACTS shows slate blades on pages 215 and 222. Slate blades and harpoon points are also shown in Charles Miles' book, INDIAN & ESKIMO ARTIFACTS of NORTH AMERICA. Overstreet does have slate blades and points but he calls them polished stone on page 1140 under Alaska. I have some in the archives, if i can find them I'll send along a photo.

I dont have any of those other books you mentioned Red, I was Overstreetin only. It's kind of shame they dont list the points with the points.
The polished stone area should be reserved for soapstone carvings !

I know! they look like points to me!