Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
help identify this coastal texas point

I found this point very close to McFaddin Beach (Jefferson County, near High Island). Based on all the fossils that were found nearby, I would love to think that it is some sort of Paleo, but I have never been able to find an exact match in any of my guidebooks (seems kind of small compared to the other Paleos I have seen). The flaking is impeccable and the flint is gorgeous, of all the points I have found in my life this is by far my favorite. I just know nothing about it

another view:

Would love to hear what some of you think!

Hunting for point is my favorite thing on earth, reading this board and hearing about other peoples' finds keeps me going!

Also, if anyone in the Atlanta area is reading this, would love to get together to go hunting for points (I am still looking for somewhere to go!)

Jonathan

Re: help identify this coastal texas point

How about a worn out Plainview blade if the base is ground.

Base is indeed ground, very nice shaping and flaking all across the bottom. Reworked Plainview sounds good to me. Thanks, Redman!

nice point.

It is a nice point and I was in error in calling it worn out. Eleven thousand years ago it may have been a five inch knife blade. It may have served later duty as a dart point and today is still a lethal weapon.

Is this a recent find, or did you find it after Ike came thru? I've walked the beach at High Island and Roll Over Pass but haven't found much. Nice point though.

definetly paleo and i agree its a plainview !! unfluted clovis is also a possibility

I found it about 5 years ago..took DAYS of looking before I found anything. That part of Texas is not exactly high yield.

I have really enjoyed having these great opinions from you all. I will post some additional pics of points I have found over the years, some that I have IDed, others that I am still wondering on.