Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
You "where to" and "how to" philosophy

Hello,
True amateur in Houston here - had better luck as a kid. Would you please share your "how to" "where to" general philosophies? How would you search along a bayou for instance?
Thank you in advance for any councel and advice,
Ch.

Re: You "where to" and "how to" philosophy

Too far south to help you out, but postings are kinda slow today. Hang in there, somebody will jump in with advice.

Charless, Houston is not what we would call an archeological hotbed, it may have been at one time but there is now concrete and pavement to deal with. Keep in mind that the bayous of Harris County come under four classifications: Private land or city, county or state land and it is illegal to collect artifacts without WRITTEN PERMISSION on any of those properties.
Most of the bayous are heavily over-grown or in someone's backyard.
The San Jacinto River above Lake Houston has produced some remarkable artifacts over the years but...............and this is a really big but............the river bed is owned by the state and the shoreline is either privately owned or National Forest.
Trespassing on private land without written permission is a felony in Harris County. Collecting artifacts on state and federal land is forbidden and if you ever get caught those folks are sort of like the IRS, they will mess with you for a long time.
Is that depressing enough for you? Leave your vehicle at one of the highway crossings over the San Jac, take a spinning reel and rod with a white spinner bait (white bass) and wade and walk the sand and gravel bars (fishing in state-owned rivers is perfectly okay). Should you see an artifact, bend over and tie your shoe. Then the decision to commit a crime is entirely up to you.

I like the way you think, Redman

If you are brave enough, jump in the creeks, and search the gravel bars. If you're even braver, jump in the water and sift the gravel. I'm neither, and have resorted to buying the arrowheads found by the braver ones. Good luck, if you ever need help in Houston, i'm right here.

Fishin N flintin, sounds like a normal day in East TX.
As far as any "digging"in ETX, Steve has given us a real insight..Look back at his posting ..
" YOU WANT TO SEE SOME REAL DIGGIN" by STEVEN MOORE.

He's got some sand in his soil, around Westheimer, you may have more pure gumbo !

How he finds and determines the layout of "camps" is a mystery to all but himself !

Thank you each for the valuable insight and feedback. I was considering convincing myself that I actually am interested in cool rocks to feel better about my luck this and last year.
Should anyone in Houston area seek extra hand, for transportation, legwork, whatever,,,,,would you please consider reaching out to me? The finds that you have posted here, and on your own web-sites are very impressive.
I will keep reading your insight, and continue reading the other threads.
Thank you again for your ideas,
Charless