Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Anyone know what this is? Found yesterday surface hunting in Wiliamson County

http://s363.photobucket.com/albums/oo72/cchoate88/?action=view¤t=SN852595.jpg

Re: Anyone know what this is? Found yesterday surface hunting in Wiliamson County

The other side.

http://s363.photobucket.com/albums/oo72/cchoate88/?action=view¤t=SN852596.jpg

Looks like they might not have finished it.

Re: Anyone know what this is? Found yesterday surface hunting in Wiliamson County

cory follow michelles directions in easy posting pics ,

ok corey here are your pics you sent me , ok im no expert at all , but i do know this much , that is a knife , it is finished ! we find alot of these in the plces we hunt , they usually look this way and seem ugly , but trust me most of the time it is from a lack of good working material , look at the posts on this site , you see the guys finding the very nice looking points and blades where there is good flint to work with , sorry but seems like ur knife and the ones i find are worked from chunks of hard rock that they played heck getting them into a nice form

Too stupid to figure it out!

You can just check out all of my pics. The one I was talking about is the one with the penny next to it.

http://s363.photobucket.com/albums/oo72/cchoate88/arrowheads/

corey's other pics . very nice finds corey

Hi Corey, it would appear that you have a broken and not well made knife in the first photos next to the penny scale, but followed by a better made knife in the 6th photo down, an amidst the pedernales points. Hope this helps.

nice finds. I would say that is a knife also. I have found some crude ones like that in Williamson Co. as well but they were lighter and more whiteish color.

I'll vote with the Knife crowd but its a thin line sometimes from fat knife to preform for something more
delicate.
Thats a very nice collection and I predict Corey is in for a pleasant surprise in the near future. . .
He must be slam bam in the middle of the Perd family's
camping area. Most Williamson county sites I have seen are multihousing. Thats a lot of Perds only !
As digging continues, there should be plentifull Montell and Marshalls yet to come, to name a few.

Corey, with such good finds, hope your going deep enough !
Tks 4 th show !

Corey, You may also find Clearfork tools (clearfork culture complex, as described first in 1947), as they are abundant throughout Williamson County. Similar in ways to your crudely made knife, these big flint core tools were crudely made for the harvest of trees for wooden items. They made many wedges for splitting logs, and rasps for scrapping/ shaving wood. Some are more well made than others, but generally, one end of the tool is noticeably thicker for a blunt stiking face with a hammering tool such as a maul. Many folks find them across Central Texas and don't know what they are or were used for.

Mike, I find tools like you are describing and didn't really know what they were either. Just figured they were some crude quick tool for something.

Eric, crude quick tool for something....rather well describes the workmanship on many of the clearfork tools. Not a lot of time spent fine flaking chunky flint blades that are just going to be pounded into logs to split them apart to fashion anything from a lance pole, bow, raft, canoe, huts, bowls, racks,etc.etc. Most clearfork tools are not worth much yet, however, they say that will change in the future....probably about the time that Overstreet decides to add them to the Book! The data on Clearfork culture tools is present in TARL files.