Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
FRL

Im thinking about trying FRL,has anyone been in the last couple of weeks?

Re: FRL

Not me but You can " read the signs " , Black Toe's group is threatening to be there the first week in April. That gang goes NOWHERE that is not very productive !

What in the heck is the 'black toe's' group? lol

Yes I be black toe gang,,, We have manage to rent out all the rooms down there but I have heard that they will close down in May, If you want to go I would think you need to do it very soon

JTX, I may have been too subtle in trying to help on the "latest" from FRL. . .
Re check the posting "BEAD SYSTEM" by LEONARD [ last post May 18 09 ] The first great slide show series of pics is the FRL posted by JANIE .
Since they are dressed in black & Janie had a " black toe " from a boating accident....thats her group [ or gang ! ]

The idea for possible new visitors was to check out the cottages and dig site But mostly that neat insitu series of the big blade. It looks within the depth range of 26 inches where so many fantastic finds were made over the last couple of years !

Closing down forever BT ? Or just early deer season ?

4 ever, there is a story there but I cant tell it not just yet,

Closing down right when summer begins is not very smart buisness ......Almost all the people from that area depend highly on tourists to make all the money for the year........ Ive lived and worked in concan 17 miles south of there for about 14 years...........Summer is a boomin time for that part of the country.... Ive dug in the best mounds in that canyon but never there......Was trying to get a buddy to go with me a couple weeks ago but he chickened out...Wont mention his name here but he dug a huge camp near barksdale on the nueces a couple years ago with a backhoe and found AMAZING STUFF....He has one of the best collections in that country...One of the points he has found is a ceremonial andice with three notches the two ear notches going all the way down the point almost to the tip and a center notch going right down the middle of the point....Ill take some shots of his frames the next time I visit him .....And see if i can twist his arm to pull out this point so I can post it ......ILL see what info I can dig up to see why they are closing....Wont be too hard to find out......My mom is the school counselor in leakey and my uncle is the crew cheif of leakey hwy dept and my cousin works for shandley realestate so if they are selling out he will know ....I used to ride the bus to school and was kin to nearly the whole bus.........That town is so small that if someone gets the flu the whole town gets sick

Aa, Thats all very interesting bio info. Beautiful country to live & work in, plenty of friends & relatives, all the better .

Re FRL closing, it's bound to be an unpredictable / unguessable reason [ like last year, a temporary shutdown due to family objections ]

I agree, less diggers, just like less deer hunters mean less $$$ [ I ALMOST said, , , "less bucks ! ]
for the entire local community BUT >>>>
maybe NOT so much for the property owner. There is a very popular Rental Cabin operation just 100 yards from FRL, and they told us they dont even want publicity for diggers in Sping, Summer, Fall !

I was told it will run tell May, he said it will stay open but not for diggers.

Like I said this was said, but he could always change his mind but I think he as pulled his ad's also. I could be worng but I do not think I am.
Buzz is a very nice man and I had a chance to talk to him lots over the last week and also Douglas,
so I guess we will just wait and see.

Well most cabins start booking jan 1st and most of the popular cabins fill within the first couple weeks...They may be booked up through summer....Frio country is almost impossible to get a cabin through or any other popular places for that fact June1st-aug14 is busy around them parts.... That other place you mention Hal i think charges 40$ a day to dig ......Havent tried there yet but bound to be same injuns and have a good idea of whats come out of there yearssss ago......My dad used to dig near the airport about 30 years ago and said if you didnt find ten good ones in a day you werent digging......Some of the best digging in that country is still there I just aint got the time to go dig it....My heart aches everytime I think about the mound that we let slip away.....We could have dug it anytime we wanted but just took it for granted.....The time we did dig ( theme music from rocky) it was AMAZING.....It was on negley land and had some real interesting traits to it .....Its since been backhoed by a feller out of leakey ....Dug it rain or shine it was that good and after he dug it he redug it again to make sure he didnt miss anything.....Sold some of the points but not talking much or showing what he found but the diggers who got to dig it WOW ....It seemed to be a manufacturing place ....Like they were the central hub for arrowhead trade or something cuz almost everything you found was perfect .G10 and then some G 15 if I can make up a number of my own hehe....My Great uncle found a cole Black andice before I was born....Never saw it but heard about it ...was a stunner.....I found G10 perd and castroville ( no pics sold already )10in spearpoints and super fantastic texas everything local to the hillcountry...We had tons of other places to dig on other ranches so we let it slip by until it was leased out....( Man why didnt we do that) I guess we didnt think about anyone leasing it...Ohhhhh wellll Theres is still plenty of other places to dig just not like that one......Best mound I ever dug or heard of anyone else digging....The stuff Ive dug seen dug or points that have come from other diggers that were willing to talk about what they found ,Was probably the best mound in the canyon to date..One interesting thing about this mound was a layer of caliche about a foot and a half thick about 6ft downand then occupation under that andice paleo ect.....Probably a flood that deposited it or something or a hill slide ...wasnt around to see hehehe...So if you diggers hit that texas stop sign ( caliche)in your mound just keep on a going you never know what mother nature has up her sleve.......Should I put page numbers on here hehehehehe sry just got to typing ....psssssssss another note :the family mound on the other side of the creek ( where only family members could dig) has produced over 200 bells from what ive heard...Havent seen any just a report that ive gotten from a fellow digger/local...... I wouldint doubt it knowing(partialy cuz of the secretive leaky digger who backhoed it) what came from the other side..

Aaron, your a walking [ typing ] history flint adventure ! Your stories remind me of the ancient stories passed down from tribal folklore. Nothing is written in the school books, so all that info is lost if
you didn't talk directly to someone in the know.

Asside from the G-10 only site, to just see a coal black Andise would be a rare sight. So many of the points
in that part of the world, the knappers seem to be knocking themselves out to compete for who could find the most translucent flint.
Since your Dad's collecting goes back so many years, He must have known "Buddy", with some 35 yrs poking around those parts.
If you want to compare notes, get in touch with Buddy through Butch, the owner of CAMP LIVE OAK.

That story of finds below the caliche really is a dream come true. What a perfect lid on a time capsule !

Did your Granpa leave any notes to indicate he may have dug with Davey Crocket ?

Tks for the great report / history lesson

Hal ...I have seen almost every color flint come out around that area and have found just about every flint color and type in them parts pink , white , black, brown, gray, red , yellow,light blue ,spotted rootbear , marbled speckeled freckled swirled you name its there....,There is very limited amounts of petrified wood in that part of the country and I have never seen or heard of anyone finding an arrow made from that material...other than that every flint type/color is represented there...My grandpa was a little to young to go digging with davey, but I had a cousin in the alamo,Im sure they swapped coonskin caps or something...some on the mayflower too if you want to go a little farther back ....Family history gets a little foggy before that.... I guess my grandpa and great uncle (Hammer van pelt and woolard van pelt) Were the oldest collectors in that part of the country...Hammer wasnt much of a colector though,He would just pick them up to use as skipping stones to fling across the river......I hear they make great skippers....but my uncle he was the digger ...When he got to old to dig He would trade guns for arrowheads...He got a few of my dads and myself that way....