Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
surface finds 3-18-09

found these surface hunting the Brazos. Nice polished axe, a heartbreaker san saba, and an interesting flake. I found several more brokes but not worth posting. Enjoy
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Re: surface finds 3-18-09

The Southern branch of the Brazos I presume?

not to far from the waco area

The Brazos River has three forks: the Clear, the Double Mountain and the Salt. Regardless of what fork it was found on, that rock in the first two photos is just a rock. Other than NE Texas, polished celts or axes are a rare item in Texas.

thanks for the input. at least I know the san saba is an artifact for sure.

Eric, It was great to meet with you and M. on 3/22, and really enjoyed seeing some of your artifacts.

The broken San Saba appears to be exactly what you have identified it as, and Redman may be right about the rock, as he is also very good with identifications.

However, many rocks like this were actually used without being altered in any way from their original form. If a trained archeologist had picked this stone up on or at an identifiable campsite, it would have likely have been recorded as an artifact. Why?......
Well, stones shaped like this one were used to stretch animal hides around to make moccasins (foot wear) and small pouches. So, that makes it a potential artifact that we will probably never know a definite answer on. Just thought you would be intrested in the additional comment.