Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
More Modoc stuff

Ok, I'll try one more since the last pic worked. Here is a selection of knives from those same NE California gravel banks. The one that looks like a giant arrowhead looks to be a ceremonial piece of some kind because it's one sided and flat on the back. The big basalt knife is about 6" long for scale and you can see how the big curved obsidian knife has been stream worn, a common and annoying thing that happens to many of the artifacts from this area. I know one of these looks to be an agate basin type but I think it's actually a resharpened knife that just happened to take that shape. One of my hunting buddies actually found an obsidian knife with a flaked and ground handle from this area. Looked like a giant butterknife. Always wanted to find me one but no luck...Mel

Re: More Modoc stuff

nice pics. what is steam worn?

WOW, beautiful finds.

*LOL* That's stream worn. Found on gravel bars along a creek.

ooop. sorry. i might need glasses. gotcha

Both of the Midu and Modoc cultures are woodland to historic, and were around at the time the first settlers came into Northern Ca. In the early 70's I lived near Placerville (sierra nevadas) for about a year, and used to dig midden sites near the small town of cold springs. In these middens were loads and loads of Hudson Trade Beads that the settlers traded to them for land,etc. Ever run across any there? Some of the beads are very valuable now. Also found alot of Yana arrow points made from obsidian and metamorphic rocks there as well.

Nope, no trade beads from the Modoc area as I was hunting a seam there, not camps. I do have a pretty fair amount of beads from some old Paiute camps and from a Chumash site right near my old house in So. Calif. Not many of any one kind but some red french types, blue and brown Russian types and a few misc.....Mel

The flint is always greener on the other side of the fence !
Obsidian sure makes a nice change from the monotomous TX translucent root beer points. Those are all big finds, how's your collection / finds of
smaller points? Any Quartz with gold seams ?

Travis. . . . . You are a card ! ! ! ! Steamed CLAMS come from gravel beds, Sabre's finds are
STREAMED Obsidion !