Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Colorado Co. after the rain.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Need some help to ID the small serated point and the double pointed blade. I think the other is what everyone calls an ecentric. It does not appear to be broken. It looks like it was made like this. Found numerous broken pieces today. Some real heartbreakers. Also I thought this might lighten the discussion board up. Does not seem to "Happy" lately.

Re: Colorado Co. after the rain.

It's an ill rain that brings no good to somebody ! That part of TX really got a heavy wash, good for you.
The double pointed looks like a classic Harahey shape, a very nice example if it is. I'll only get in trouble naming the serated,, , , Ensor form ?

The excentric is probably just that if the notches are not broken but flaked as you say. The point looks
stocky enough though to have been a nice tool. How about a spoke shave for dart and arrow shafts.

Ensor, Harahey knife and a shaft shaver

ahhh thats cool redman , so the ecxentric with the notches was used for shaving down shafts is that what your saying ? that makes an interesting tool , really nice .

how about a kids tomahawk...or small flint axe.....ive always wondered what the adults made for children to play with....Like replicas of the larger more dangerous weapons....My dad wouldnt let me use a real bow or real spear untill I was older ...I guess he didnt want us kids to hurt ourselves....but after the age of 7 it was real .22's real shot guns real bows and arrows real ammunition once we were more responsible.......They would just turn us loose and see us at supper....those were the good old days....I wouldint trust a kid with a gun now,thats why so many are shooting themselves because they dont learn that they arent toys..." Train a child in the way he should go when he is young,and when he is old he will not depart from it".... I think every kid should be trained how to use a gun under proper supervision...That way they wont be so curious about daddy gun collection and end up shooting their friend or themselves...It happens to many times........I heard today that children develop most of their character traits before they are 7 years of age...It would be nice if parents trained their little monsters to be polite , honest ,responsible,before age of 7...Ive seen to many jerry springer episodes to know that will never happen Too much TV Too much Mcdonalds Too much of what the world has to offer which isnt suitable even for an adult.....oopppsss I guess that sermon today at church rubbed off on me a little..( Thankyou preacher for not putting me to sleep) One last note from the pulpit ..If your watchin somethin on Tv and you have to tell your children to cover their eyes then maybe you shouldint be watchin it either.... Well the midnight train has gotta stop .......Sleep time Good luck diggin tomorrow

Aa, Your doin some deep thinkin this Morn ! Here's some more ammunition for you to blend into
your observations.
Re "toys" . . . .some points [ not preforms ] are knapped so bad we usually say " Darn, this one was made
by some kid practicing"
So how old was this "kid"??
If your going to be dead at 30, you better get your act together as soon as you can crawl.
There were no child labor laws or school buses in those days. Life and living conditions were on the edge so much, amusements probably didnt stray far from the deadly life ahead.
We have all found really small well made manos and We say "they are for grinding the smaller herbs and spices " but in fact the are perfect replicas of the adult kitchen appliance, scaled down for girl kid size hands.
{ Some GranMas must really have had big mitts ! ]

Another factor of kids / family life we consider a lot when trying to find artifacts at a completely and hopelessly dugout campsite.. . .
No matter what age, the young want to get away from the old as soon as possible. [ Who would want to hang around with ancient 28 year old people that just
wants to talk about acheing joints and funeral arragements.? ]
Mini "hangout" spots can be very interesting ! Bout 2 years ago we found an area well away from the "main" camp site that had 2 BIG matates and 5 monos along with the most fantastic long barbed Marshalls we had ever seen.
We figured the young ladies were doing their kitchen chores and when the young guys came home from a hard day at work, they knapped to impess the ladies.

Couldn't have worked too well, the ladies left some great flint treasures behind ! [ AND their cooking utensils ]

The above deals with "daily life" of course there was special relaxed holidays for backyards BBQ events.
Like once a year the big Mammoth kill fest when they
rip the gastro stones out of its stomach and use them as game balls !

Mornin Aaron, Gman just provided a neat example of our off topic of toys and related trivia.

Checkout the big Montell in the center of his grouping in. . .
THUNDERBIRD DRILL FROM TODAY. . .

How old [ experienced ?] was the party that made that one ?

K, I am unable to tell from the photo whether the blade of the serrated point has a twist or torque.. If it does, it could possibly be a Pandale even though Colorado County is hundreds of miles from the center of Pandale concentration in the lower Pecos country. The few Pandale points I have seen were extremely crude but interesting due to the torque.

Well, I was going to say Harahey (Mississippian-Period), and a serrated Darl (Woodland-Period), as I too fail to see any Torqe or Twist, or Oblique parallel flaking. Pandale is further (Middle-Archaic), and All specimens I have seen have the prominent twist as one of the strongest characteristics, hence the term Torque blade. As these seem to be surface finds, it fits the unburied aspect as well time wise, as well as being out of the distribution range. Our cave site here has produced many of the finest Pandale specimens I have ever seen, and I have an exclusive buyer who calls me on a regular basis to see if I have found more.

There is no twist to the serated point. Also there does not seem to be any beveling to the the identified as a Harahay. It seems to be equaled sharping towards the center. I posted the Perd that was beveled and the Harahay does not exibit this trait. But that doesn't mean anything. Found 2 more suface finds today. I will post shortly.

K, not all Haraheys are beveled, have found several that were not. Beyond that, about the only other option would be a pointed base Lerma, but pretty sure it ain't as its equally centered. Either way, your a winner! Nice finds.

Nice finds K! Could you post another picture of the serrated point from a straight on back end view?

Here are some pics of the point that some might think is a Pandale. Also included are 3 that I found today. 2 are broken. The big one made me cry. Wish the base and barb went broken. Really a heart stopper when I saw it. The pigs are really tearing up the ground and turned these 2 up. I walked the same area yesterday and didn't see them. The eccentric or spoke shave(? as some have called these)was found close to the area where I found the last one. Maybe by the same maker. Lots of flakes and burnt rock in the area.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Upper 3 pics, end view & side view.......most definitely Not a Pandale. Man what a shame on the last point, it would have been a beauty!

Any guesses to the type? Age? This site has produced alot of different stuff. Nothing like I see out of the Hill Country. But it's close to the house and I don't have to pay. I have found several Paleo. Nothing really nice, but Paleo.

K, My best guess estimate on the big boy would be Castroville (Late Archaic to Woodland).

K, you may not be alone ! Badgers " find of the day " BEFORE the recent gorget find was a near perfect 3 1/2 inch NOLAN flaked into a near hour glass configuration that we both immediatly said was
specially made for a "shaft shaver". AND, , , the tip was a small perforator, with just the tiny tip missing.
No prank that one !

Sorry no pic, just have to immagine an hour glass !