Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Paleo spear point

I believe I have a preform paleo spear point of some kind. I recently showed it to a co-worker who suggested I get on this site to get some second opinions. I found this point approx 15 years ago while hunting in central Texas. It appears more primitive than most points, knives or axes I've seen before. Just want some advice on age and possibly it's value. I'm trying to figure out how to post a picture of it but can send a pic via return email to interested parties.

Re: Paleo spear point

Pics are a must, when posting questions about identity or validity of a point, please post pics.

I'm not very internet-savey. I have posted a couple of pic's at:
http://s726.photobucket.com/albums/ww267/Nih8slo/

Just because something looks more primitive doesn't mean it is. I don't see how anything about it could suggest it is paleo, or a spear point, or even a pre-form for that matter. It looks like any other crude chopper made quickly to break open bones or something. Not worth much. Sorry, keep looking.

A note worthy observation, since many folks have picked up clear fork tools (crudely made), and thought they had something entirely different or unique. For that matter, Robert M. Overstreet needs to devote a great deal more time on Texas Artifacts if he expects his book to be worth that much here. Aside from all the missing stuff, I can barely count all the mistakes I run across in it.

here are the pics you were trying to post:

I'm no expert, but that is probably just a tool/scraper of some sort.

it could be a scraper, but I've seen it & I still wanna call it a preform. It's very big and heavy, probably 1" (or more) thick. It may not be worth any substantial amout of cash, but it's cool to have. The pictures don't really do it justice.
DR- you should take the piece to the show in Greenville on the 25th. It's free to get in, and I'm sure there will be a room full of "experts" there willing to give you an opinion.

Well, I wouldn't be too sure about a room full of experts,........all you need for central Texas artifacts is One,( and this was stated to be a central texas artifact),.............and that would be Dwain Rogers. Even if it were a pre-form, which I'm Not ruling out, what characteristic about it would lead you to think it was Paleo, instead of Archaic?

Dave, Who's got the full details on that Greenville show?
There's a bunch of "northern" diggers up that way .

Re: Re: Paleo spear point

SH: here's what I know about the show in G-ville on the 25th - it's at the Crossroads Church activity center at the junction of I-30 & Hwy 69. Set up at 8am, doors open at 9. It's free to get in, 10 (+ SHOT club membership) to set up a display table, 25 for dealers.
It seems like they had 25 or 30 tables set up last year. I think they're shooting for 40 this year. If you'll send me an email, then I'll forward it to the guy in charge of the thing.
As far as the alleged paleo/archaic scraper/pre-form/spear point thing goes - since it basically boils down to the thing is some sort of stone tool that isn't worth anything anyway then the discussion is merely academic, and I didn't go to school long enough to have academic discussions -THEREFORE . . . I'm calling it a Clovis Man dermabrasion tool. I'm gonna offer Don 5 bucks for it.