Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
SPRINGTIME IN TX PICS HERE

4/16/09. Small Castroville with some unknown "wispy" yellow fleurs !

Photobucket

Re: SPRINGTIME IN TX PICS HERE

Is that a roach clip ur holding the arrow head with?

nice finds fellas- flint and flowers

Old Andice and young tomatoes !

Photobucket

Even the hated thistle is in a dress up mode !

Photobucket

Photobucket

Camera problem ! Been trying for 4 days to capture one little birdie that was NOT blurred !

Then on an ant mound !

Photobucket

Then on a beautiful colored toad stool !

Photobucket

Maybe the bird point is bad luck, Try a Morrill with very delicate fungus [ eating a dead tree ]

Photobucket

RATS ~~ gave up. . .

Went home and re-read the camera instruction book.
He's that lousy bird point sitting on a red fossil mano ! [ in macro, in focus ]

Photobucket

Always saving the best for last, eh, SH. Good point.
Headed to Lulling, see you later.
Tehuacana

Good show!

nice - like it

As requested, Springtime in Tx Mano !

Photobucket

One last group shot ~

Photobucket

Mano turned nutter stone [ both sides ]

Iron Sulfide Mano, attracts magnets.

From Red sandstone [ North TX vintage ]

Calendar stone, mano wannabe.

Small clear quartz mano with grooves on both sides. [ hard to see / cant be seen in pic ]

Much larger tha average size, red Granite.

Finally the fossil mano, dug from deep in a fire rock midden camp. [ I have seen the very same fossilised matrix in a formation just N of Lake Amistad ]

I have some sandstone that looks similar to the fossil mano, but it is to soft for any use. Same color and composistion but just sandstone. It comes from around the Pleasanton area. Yours are neat finds. All the years of SoTx. surface hunting I've never run across any grindstones.

Now there is another major trueism, like the one about points south of a line being baseless.

No matter how different the vegetation may be "down south", they must have had a need to
reduce it to mush somehow.

Matter of fact, Manos should be all over the place since every living plant down that way either has thorns or has an iron wood consistancy !

Manos
I have a few I may erect a fireplace with them. They seem to be plentiful up here I have found almost enough of them in an area probably less than .75 acreto complete the project alot of broken metates Travis has been the lucky one finding to complete metates on top of each other. then we broke one pulling it out of the ground.
This reminds me I need to go out and dig It has been a while.
Need to dig before the point poachers dig the camp out.

manos galore!

Sweet pics as always.
SH what type of fossil is the red mano made of? I find tons of the the red fossil rocks here in Williamson co. I stopped picking them up because I am running out of garden space to put them around. I did not know some of them were used as manos I just figured they were polished from the river or whatever. Thanks for learnin' me sumptin. LOL

eric, My red fossil mano was dug in Wiliamson county and probably exactly the same
as the ones you have from the creek. All things found in a camp area were brought from elsewhere.
LOTS of different unusual stones are found so I just assume Junior brought them home to show Mom and see
if it was of any use.
My Mano only shows slight evidence of grinding use. Mom probably gave it a test then deceided no ground
up fossils for her family. Most of the "rounding" does seem to be classic tumbled stream effect.

Near as I can tell, it looks like colonies of FUSILINIDS [ small dead clams ] in a mud stone matrix.
Quite likely the same formation Te notes south of San Antone and me further south around Del Rio.

I had seen this material in strata in it's original location in a hillside, I was / am intreigued by
what momumental event of nature caused the intense
RED. I assume it's a concentrated iron oxide base.

I appreciate the info. I also find some like that but they are more brown in color. The San Gabriel River is loaded with them over in this area.Some are just as smooth as can be and some are pretty rough. Either way I like them.

Mothersdaydig, "find of the day"
Marshall papoose in an Indian Blanket

Photobucket