Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hi everybody, and a couple of Questions...

Hello all, you may remember me (or maybe not) as the designer of the 'Austin Diggers' shirts a while back. I hope everybody is enjoying them.

I lurk here often, and love to see what everybody is finding. I thought I'd share what I have.

Most of this was found on a Friend's ranch out past Dripping Springs. He has found a nice midden, and a bunch of stuff on the surface as well. Below are pics of HIS collection, all taken from this property. This is the 'frame worthy' stuff. There are tons more heartbreakers, broken pieces, big tools (including a bright white biface the size of a tea saucer that I'd wish I'd gotten a pic of), fossils, etc.

The midden:
Photobucket

His frames:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

I was out there with him recently, and did a little digging (actually more beer was drunk than dirt moved), and we took a nice long hike to do some surface collecting.

In the midden I dug this thing up, just below the layer of cracked limestone. It's got a nice edge to it, and what almost looks like a flute on one side, even though it's pretty thick on the base. Any idea what it might be?

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

This monster ax also came out of the midden.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

While digging, my friend found this, and gave it to me. It has a nice red streak going through it, and a cool asymetrical shape to it, almost coner tang-ish.

Photobucket
Photobucket

These were found on the surface. That Bulverde(Langtry?). That was a gift from my friend, found on the surface a couple years ago. He gave it to me as a present, and it is what started my fascination with all this. He says it was one of the first he found there, and got him exploring his property more. The little brown broken Montell next to it is the first artifact I ever found myself.

Photobucket

Some broken Surface finds:

Photobucket

While walking our dog here at home, I started to notice a lot of flint around, and our apartment complex is close to dry creek, so I started to wonder, and look down a lot more. Low and behold, I picked this thing up in my complex, where water drains after a rain. It has a weird square edge to it, and I have no idea what it could be. Any ideas?

Photobucket
Photobucket

And lastly, My girlfriend got this as a present a few years ago from a friend who was digging a fence post somwhere east of Austin. I couldn't definitively tell her what it was, so I was hoping somebody around here could. It is a real beauty!

Photobucket

Being a busy city slicker, I can only wish I had the time to go out to my friend's place and dig and explore more, but that is not my reality. I will continue to learn and watch with great interest what you guys find. I look at the landscape in a completely different way now, thanks to my fascination with central TX archaeology.

Sorry about the marathon post, Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'l leave you with a family photo, the sum total of eveything I have currently:

Photobucket

Re: Hi everybody, and a couple of Questions...

M, good report, good show.
Until corrected, here's a startoff guess of your questions ::
Fluted piece & square edged, scrapers.
The red streaker might be a regular point that was used as a scraper or knife while still hafted.

That top full point looks a bit like a BULVERDE.

Girlfriend's item, possibly a UVALDE

A friend with a camp property west of DrpSpgs is a great artifact area.
You might reconsider your priorities, like take early retirement and devote full time to "digging"

Your shirts show up from time to time in pictures, well done