Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
HEY ??? QUESTION FOR YOU GUYS

HEY HI YA'LL

?? FOR YA HAS ANYONE EVER SEEN A MONTELL KNIFE? AND A VERY SMALL BIRD POINT SHAPED LIKE A MONTELL???

Re: HEY ??? QUESTION FOR YOU GUYS

Do you have a pic. of it with something (a coin) next to it for comparison to size?

WELL I WILL GET ON ON HERE AS SOON AS I CAN THE SMALL POINT AND IT IS MONTELL BASE IS ABOUT THE SIZE OF A DIME

THE MONTELL KNIFE I THINK IT IS IS OVER 4 INCHES LONG AND THIN AND HAS A CURVE TO THE BLADE AND NEEDLE TIPPED BELL COUNTY BLACK LEON RIVER MATERIAL

If it exists, it's possible ! Couple Yrs ago I spotted a big Montell at a dealers table at a show,
he was calling it a base tang.
That curve on yours doesnt sound unique as those resharpened "lobsided " points are pretty common.

Re the bird pt Montell. . . . . ??
Re uncaracteristically small, last year when I was planning what size Corner Tang I'd like to find,
I checked the flint shows pretty close and found a number of really small examples. . . . like 1 1/4 inches.

Your golden oppurtunity for research is only 5 days away !

I have seen a few Montell knives found in Williamson co. around 4 to 5 in long and curved do you call them base tangs or Montell knifes

Photobucket Hear is a nice montell knife, it is the biggest one I have personally seen come out of the ground. Im sure there are larger examples around. A strange note this came from a mound with numerous kinds of points, not many montells too speak of. But I have dug in a mound around florence that put out almost nothing but montells and the knives associated with them were all fridays.