Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Unknown Bone

I was surface hunting a creek in Bell Co. and I found this petrified bone. Can anyone tell me more about it or point me in the right direction for a place to take it so I can find out more about it.
Let's see if I can figure this picture thing out and post some of it.
Bone
Bone
Bone

Re: Unknown Bone

looks like the inner ear bone of T REX if u axe me

looks to me, to be the base of a antler.

eric, heres an attempt at direction pointing.
Your notes indicate "petrified" and that means a stonelike quality. . . .and that means very old [ quite probably pre humans in N America ]

The reddish cast seems to be that it was buried and picked up the N TX redlands mineralisation.

Cheapest and most interesting identification test is to cut / grind then polish the end facing the camera
in the second pic down.
Following is a macro of a small bit I have from Montana, said to be a piece of
Hadrisaur bone. Note the multicolored mineralisation in the cell structure.

Photobucket

Use any tool{s} to get a flat on the piece. Hand grinder, belt sander, Dremel {with diamond disk }
Last phase, get as polished as poss, perhaps with fine grit wet / dry emory paper. Also check your local Yel Pgs for a friendly local lapidary that might
lop the end off !

The then visible internal structure might help a paleontologist make a judgement. Some natural history museums offer identification sessions for the general public.
Just because of the possible socket configuration, I tend towards bone.

At least professor Douglas has modified his original analysis leaving the door open for an object from the
1989 hunting season to the 100 million ago hunting season !

Thanks for the input. I find alot of bone to but the bone I usually find is old but hasn't turned to stone already. I figured it was pretty old and just wanted to see if someone had some ideas on it. I am just interested in finding out more about it as I am with anything old like this that I find. Natural curiosity I suppose.
Thanks SH, I may try to cut and polish it up. If nothing else it would maybe make one end look neater than it does.
I also have a nephew that said he can bring it to college with him and let the bone folks look at it a little closer.

Looks like it could be an antler, but it looks like half of a ball and socket joint to me. Is it heavey?

I found an antler in 2 pieces a couple weeks back in a small rock shelter. It's probably not what you would call petrified, but it's definitely old and is fairly heavey. I'll have to post some pictures of it later. I also found what I believe to be a large gar tooth still attached to a small piece of jaw bone. Both were used as tools of some sort I imagine.

Sometimes I find the tools more interesting than the points.

Nice finds Trav, since everything was used, your items must have seen some use.

Even without carbon dating most people can get the hang of a quick dating bone & antler to within a thousand years with the proper technical terminology, , ,
OLD. . KINDA OLD. . PRETTY OLD . .VERY OLD. .REALLY OLD. .WOW, REALLY OLD. .PETRIFIED.