Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
pay digs

I was thinking of going to the dig in dripping springs does anyone have any new info on the dig. I noticed they offer hand dig and sifter. Also what about Chrisners? I have been to Nachos several times and done well, but I have a lake house on lake travis and these two digs are much closer than driving another 2-3 hours to go camp wood. Any thoughts? Thanks- T

Re: pay digs

Hey well i have been 2 chrisners many times sometimes the gettins good ... my two favorite spots are fulton hollow and brushy creek but there are many camps all over just a matter of the point finding you !!

you can pitch a tent and stay overnite i wouldnt build a fire grass is way 2 dry and its 2 dang hot anyhow a small grill or pit would be good 2 go to fix up some vittles

good luck !! also there is a new dig open nueces river adventures that has good potential ... just keep hydrated the heat is a killer

I screen dug dripping springs 2 weeks ago and found about 4 brokes,nothing special.Im pretty sure its all dug up.Chrisners is about the same.I here their is a new untouched dig towads Uvalde,Id try my luck there.

T, Both the dig sites you mentioned are pretty low priced for hand digging and make no secret about
being heavy dug, its paying for a day in Indian country. That is, areas where whole populations of people congregated but not always in the kitchen !
Good finds can be found by being more analytical [ and hard working ]
Get the last of the dirt out from around trees, small suble washes and under the edges of some old throw dirt.
The most classic example is the famous GAULT SITE. That place is well documented as being dozed and hand dug for over 75 years, yet not a soul is complaining today. The present day finds that were missed or deep is OUTSTANDING !

At least you have a one day, cheap and close to you dig to look forward to.
I see the Chrisners have just posted the date for DIGFEST IX.

SUNDAY OCTOBER 11 '09

The entry fee gets food, prizes and Richard will find some promising area to trench [ even the trenched dirt
needs to be raked through ].

Thanks SH for the additional info. I have been spoiled at Nacho's but a day of hand digging can be very rewarding. I may make the digfest as well. I know how rewarding digging under trees and tree roots can be! I have seen some nice stuff come out from under those hidden places! I have read some forums and I think you have the same feeling. Thanks again and thanks to all that answer my posting. -T

I was at Chrisner's last Wed. the 10th and I didn't see anything suggesting that it was dug out...my friend found a lot of bird points and a broke perd and pieces thatwere parts of...I'm more of a surface hunter and found a uniface drill and a almost complete perd and alot of fossils...found a couple of places that I want to explore more completely the next time I go...

Thanks for the info Larry! How do you know what areas are productive? I have never been there so I would not know where to start...don't want to waste a whole day in the hot summer sun with no idea where to start. Did your friend find some nice bird points? Thanks again- T

Heavens to mergatroy, T, how did Uncle Bill get left out of the loop ??

If your Estate is on the North shore of Travis, a really great and dead cheap dig site is just
one and five eigths of an inch north of you.

Just got a very recent high recomendation. . . see posting; ; ;

TRIP TO BILL ARNOLDS NEW DIG SITE by Gary W.

Get the scoop from Bills website at TXDIGGER.COM
Bill doesn't want Mlle to list the contact info in the " pay digs " section cause he's afraid of too
much publicity.
Help keep the secret, dont post your finds.

If your castle is on the SOUTH shore of Travis. . . add an extra hour travel time.

Cool SH I appreciate the info! If you are from the area maybe we can get together and dig. I am going to the lake around July 1st-5th. Right now I am in Kansas and Missouri working and hunting points. Our place is off of 71 just past pale face ranch. It is on Neumans point where the colorado, pedernales, and travis meet.

T, like I said in the post I'm more of a surface hunter, But the spot that my friend was digging had been started by someone else and abandoned..When we showed up, Lee reached down and picked up a Scallorn, nice bird point, in the throw dirt...started digging around and came up with 2 Cuney points, a broke perd, 3 or 4 more scallorns and a bunch of worked pieces...course, he was screening. While I was out walking, I found two shelters near a dry waterfall, a couple of plants that my old hippie friends would have loved and a few points...like my friend lee, the San Antonio digger says, sometimes it is the point finding you...

Sounds like you two did pretty good larry. How big is the place? Do you park and walk or can you drive around to see where you want to start?

I think I've been told that it is a full section, 640 acres, but you can drive to most any where on the ranch, but the fun part is to park the vehicle and get out and explore...After you leave the sign in area there are roads leading everywhere...get out of the car and spin around in a circle, almost any direction that you are facing will take you to a place to dig or just walk and explore...don't let the amount of holes throw you off, check the throw dirt for things that others didn't pick-up...there is a story of a man that went out looking for a cornertang and dug this one area for about three hours with no luck, got frustrated and left, another digger came by and checked the throw dirt that the first digger had been sitting on and picked up a beautiful cornertang knife...like I said check it all...

Thanks Larry sounds like the whole place is pretty good. I appreciate the info- T

Re Larry's C-tang story, I think I remember seeing that story on CNN because the guy that missed the point tied an anvil on his foot and jumped off a bridge.

How about the "potty point" story from last years Digfest. . . . Badger was "surface hunting" in the line at the porta potties and found a Scalllorn
bird point just steps from on of the boxes !!

T, to see the lay of the land, back to front page, right, click icon marked DIGFEST 08

Thanks for all the info! SH and Larry you have both helped me a lot. SH if you have an email you don't mind sharing I would like to send you an email. Thanks- T