Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Brokes, Unfinished

What I do with brokes or unfinished.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Still a rookie with the knapping. Since I don't have access to flint where I live, I figure I'll just use what they used.

Chris J

Re: Brokes, Unfinished

Quality job Chris, The highest compliment I can pay you is to say that both finished products look Ebay ready !

Are both [ or others ] just reknapped or are you dabbling in the Gomer style rebuilding techniques ?

Both are re-knapped.

Thats really good work then, they dont look "stubby" at all. Just as a follow up exercise, if your in the vicinity of a black light { UV } someday,
see how much the new rechipped area shows up.

Had you posted the after pics before the before pics I doubt anyone would have question that you found these complete points !

Nice work ChrisJ I did it twice as a new knapper, but thenlearned something from my elders....Ihad just de-faced a 2000-6000 year old artifact ,as a digger this broke my heart :and now i see his point .Ihavent done it since, and it has helped me develope my novice skills as a knapper.Use your finds to learn from....after all, they did it first. Happy trails Chris good luck.

There is an alternative to preserve the ancient integrity of an artifact. Try passive
restoration [ epoxy and or plaster ]

That also is controversial to some but if its not for resale and just for an individuals own pleasure it sure brings out the original glory. In the depths of Google must be some "how to " info.

I have three gorget finds that I created the missing section for. My preference is not to completely
bring it back to new but leave the crack very visible.

Photobucket

I wouldnt have it any other way !

[ Its horibly obvious to all but thats my work on the right ]

Ilike your style SH ...ya didnt hit it a single time lol

There is a bit more to be seen of Gorget fixing, peel back in the postings to:

MAR 25, MIRACLE IN THE MIDDEN

As a side note, Im always positively amazed how life can be !!!
That " Miracle" posting was at the top permanent sticky position since MARCH and nobody had any use for it. . . . . . . Now I wanted to include it in your fix a gorget topic and Mlle had just removed it, , ,
LAST NIGHT !!